Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2015, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I had to spend $735.93 to get my car fixed!!!! They say it was throttle body and some type of sensor.... But what good to have a warranty or extended warranty when some happens it's never the part that is under warranty.. I have a 2010 Chevy Impala, which I purchased in 2012 so I was thinking i had 5yrs frm when I purchased it would be covered not frm when it was made.. Then they had nerves to tell me which ever comes first 5yrs or 100,000 thousand miles it might have been covered!!!! I'm still sick😡😡😡😡
Old March 11th, 2015, 9:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayla'smom
But what good to have a warranty or extended warranty when some happens it's never the part that is under warranty.. I have a 2010 Chevy Impala, which I purchased in 2012 so I was thinking i had 5yrs frm when I purchased it would be covered not frm when it was made.. Then they had nerves to tell me which ever comes first 5yrs or 100,000 thousand miles it might have been covered!!!! I'm still sick😡😡😡😡
What else should they tell you? The nerve of you to say it's the nerve of them. Seriously?

It is the same warranty from when the vehicle is first purchased NEW.. not when a second owner gets it.

It is a used vehicle at that point.

And if it was a certified pre-owned chevy - you do get a 12month/12,000 mile warranty

Auto Warranty: Two Warranties | GM Certified Pre-Owned
GM Certified Pre-Owned FAQs
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

So no complaints in almost a week!!!! Amazing!

So is this a result of the warmer weather finally? Everyone's car is working better.
Does this mean the cold affects some of these electrical sensors in adverse ways causing the reduced engine power?
Old March 18th, 2015, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Chevy with reduced power

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
What's the code for the check engine light?

What does your manual say about it?

Something like this perhaps? :

Engine Power Messages

ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED
This message displays when the
vehicle's engine power is reduced.
Reduced engine power can affect
the vehicle's ability to accelerate.
If this message is on, but there
is no reduction in performance,
proceed to your destination. The
performance may be reduced the
next time the vehicle is driven. The
vehicle may be driven at a reduced
speed while this message is on, but
maximum acceleration and speed
may be reduced. Anytime this
message stays on, the vehicle
should be taken to your dealer for
service as soon as possible.

It's the cold. Now that it's warmer no more engine light or issue. Also happens when it gets wet.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Sick of complaining and nothing being done!

I just gave up on this lemon. It has been sitting in my drive way for a week now. No point of risking my children's life in this crap. Now it happens as soon as I start it, so it just sits there. It's a death trap and no one will do anything to help. The lady I dealt with at Chevy was very rude and didn't seem to care or wanting to help, her name was Misty Shaw. I will never buy a Chevy again. Can't wait to get this lemon fixed and sell it!
Old March 19th, 2015, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Picked my car up from shop Tuesday.... And today what happens starts the car and the same **** is still happening!!!!! What can this be, if they are putting on the machine to see what is the actually problem it should read it.. So now guess who will be at the dealer as soon as they open in morning
Old March 19th, 2015, 9:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kayla'smom
Picked my car up from shop Tuesday.... And today what happens starts the car and the same **** is still happening!!!!! What can this be, if they are putting on the machine to see what is the actually problem it should read it.. So now guess who will be at the dealer as soon as they open in morning
It's probably an electrical connection.

I tried to find the posts about that, but could not via search.
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Yes, it would be more better to leave you totally stranded on the side of the road when facing a major car malfunction. The car should totally shut off and place itself in park automatically.

Exactly who are you? You obviously have never experienced this issue, because if you had you wouldn't continually make these ignorant - non helpful comments. Yes leave me totally stranded on the road like every car in history has done when facing a major malfunction. That is much better than taking me from 75 to 20 in a matter of seconds with an 18 wheeler behind me!

Bad part is that if you knew what the heck you were talking about you would KNOW that our vehicles aren't facing MAJOR MALFUNCTIONS, there is actually nothing wrong with the vehicles other than the fact that the computer is telling it to go into this "limp mode" This is evidenced by the fact that the 2 times I have taken my truck to the dealer for this issue, the only thing they have replaced were the throttle body connector and the throttle body, all in an effort to stop this issue. After 10s of 1000's of vehicles have had this issue for years you would think that GM would issue a recall, or the government would force them to. You would also not expect to be on a forum where people are genuinely afraid for their lives, and see someone like you making wisecracks!! this is not a joke dude!!
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by handslike2feet
Well duh! Very helpful statement sledge (not) have you been reading these? some of the people have taken their cars in numerous times...spent huge bucks on 'repairs' that don't work..trial and error stuff...and end up having the same problem! Obviously there is a problem that even the dealerships don't know how to handle (best case scenario)...or they are just out to take advantage of people to get as much $$$$ as they can from them (worst case scenario) - whatever the problem is, it needs to be figured out..and soon...there are too many 'newish' years and models involved NOT to be a bigger problem than 'normal wear and tear'.

Yes I rented a Buick Enclave this past weekend and it happened about an hour after I left the rental counter. This vehicle had 5 miles on it when I left the rental place. I did say FIVE MILES. When this occurred it slowed me from 75 to 25 and scared the hell out of me, and it had 66 miles on it. Yes I said SIXTY SIX
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by grammar329
Is it safe to drive about 35 miles on a bad throttle body?

Doesn't mean you necessarily have a bad throttle body. I replaced mine, and got the same exact message on a new throttle body and new throttle body connector.

RIP OFF

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!