Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2015, 6:22 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by money4771
Exactly who are you? You obviously have never experienced this issue, because if you had you wouldn't continually make these ignorant - non helpful comments. Yes leave me totally stranded on the road like every car in history has done when facing a major malfunction. That is much better than taking me from 75 to 20 in a matter of seconds with an 18 wheeler behind me!

Bad part is that if you knew what the heck you were talking about you would KNOW that our vehicles aren't facing MAJOR MALFUNCTIONS, there is actually nothing wrong with the vehicles other than the fact that the computer is telling it to go into this "limp mode" This is evidenced by the fact that the 2 times I have taken my truck to the dealer for this issue, the only thing they have replaced were the throttle body connector and the throttle body, all in an effort to stop this issue. After 10s of 1000's of vehicles have had this issue for years you would think that GM would issue a recall, or the government would force them to. You would also not expect to be on a forum where people are genuinely afraid for their lives, and see someone like you making wisecracks!! this is not a joke dude!!

money4771 Welcome to the forum...
The limp mode is a safety feature that allows the driver to continue on or at least get off the road under the vehicles own power... This feature is used because the system is drive by wire and for safety you have basically 2 choices, complete shut down at the first sign of a "fault" in the system or reduced power to allow for hobbled but continuous use... you could have a third option of failure to go to WOT but that would be disastrous for obvious reasons.... The comment you quoted for user sledge.impy I believe, was meant to be read with sarcasm
Old April 22nd, 2015, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
The limp mode is a safety feature that allows the driver to continue on or at least get off the road under the vehicles own power... This feature is used because the system is drive by wire and for safety you have basically 2 choices, complete shut down at the first sign of a "fault" in the system or reduced power to allow for hobbled but continuous use... you could have a third option of failure to go to WOT but that would be disastrous for obvious reasons.... The comment you quoted for user sledge.impy I believe, was meant to be read with sarcasm
Sir please understand that I am an Industrial Engineer who happens to be 44 years old. I currently own 6 vehicles, 3 of which are GM products. I have owned over 40 vehicles in my lifetime. I have a 1987 Chrysler conquest TSI that I enter into car shows with - that I personally installed a new head, larger turbo and ceramic coated pistons into. I say that to say I know exactly what the idea behind "limp mode" is, but do u not understand that someone is going to DIE?? if it hasn't already happened! You are dead wrong about it enhancing safety. Yes maybe if you are driving 20 mph anyway, but at 75 mph there is nothing safe about being rapidly slowed to 20 - less if u are going up hill! No other brand that I know of puts their owners in grave danger like this and then tries to tell them it's FOR safety! This happened to me for years in that DENALI and not once has the dealer been able to find a problem. You will never be able to tell me that I had a problem with my vehicle serious enough to warrant risking my life when once after it went into reduced engine power or "limp mode" I pulled over shut it off waited 10 minutes then started it up and drove 215 more miles without a problem then drove it for a solid 2 months every single day before it happened again! Now this IS sarcasm " some catastrophic failure" that limp mode "saved" me from
Old April 22nd, 2015, 9:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly who are you? You obviously have never experienced this issue, because if you had you wouldn't continually make these ignorant - non helpful comments. Yes leave me totally stranded on the road like every car in history has done when facing a major malfunction. That is much better than taking me from 75 to 20 in a matter of seconds with an 18 wheeler behind me!

Why does everyone have a 18 wheeler behind them when this happens?

Quit making up stories.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Further sir if u have not been in a GM vehicle when this happens and were on an interstate where construction was being done and a lane of traffic had been shut down and u were being followed by an 18 wheeler who when this happened had to swerve right really hard knocking over a number of orange barrels all in an effort to avoid killing you, your wife, and your children, by slamming into you from behind . After which he runs over to you while u sit on the side of the interstate thanking the heavens that u are still alive and wants to fight because "you are stupid enough to slow down like that in traffic". If this has not happened to you sir - then you have no basis for trying to tell me I should be THANKFUL that I have limp mode . I have a 2001 Honda accord that I drive 60 miles one way every day to work it has 321,000 miles on it and has never went into limp mode and has never needed to and I feel completely safe in it - I bought it 7 years ago for $5900 - but my $55000 Denali is about to kill me . My Mercedes has never went into or needed limp mode, nor has any of my other vehicles. I had a Mazda 6 that had the oil filter blow off while I was doing 75 a puff of smoke streamed behind me I was able to pull over and get out of harms way. I never once said or had the thought I need limp mode. I had another Honda accord before this one that had the upper radiator hose blow off I was able to pull over safely I never said or thought I needed a limp mode. When my avalanche had 250 miles on it it ran hot on me due to what I later found out was a hole in the water pump . I was in town and stopped at a light when it happened. The truck went into limp mode and I was able to drive 8 miles to my house under reduced power. I bragged on the limp mode feature and thought it was the best thing ever - but that was before limp mode almost killed me and my family! If a message popped up giving u a warning and allowing you to select limp mode, then it would be ok - but it does it automatically and instantly! So I bef you PLEASE stop trying to tell those of us to whom this has happened that slowing us from 75 to 20 without the benefit of brake lights in traffic is a good thing !! We know for certain that it isn't! Brake lights are mandatory on vehicles for a reason!!!!! Because slowing down in traffic without them is dangerous !! What part of that keeps getting missed ?? Our cars and trucks are decelerating rapidly and there is no warning to those behind us ! How I ask can you say that this is a good idea?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Further sir if u have not been in a GM vehicle when this happens and were on an interstate where construction was being done and a lane of traffic had been shut down and u were being followed by an 18 wheeler who when this happened had to swerve right really hard knocking over a number of orange barrels all in an effort to avoid killing you, your wife, and your children, by slamming into you from behind . After which he runs over to you while u sit on the side of the interstate thanking the heavens that u are still alive and wants to fight because "you are stupid enough to slow down like that in traffic". If this has not happened to you sir - then you have no basis for trying to tell me I should be THANKFUL that I have limp mode . I have a 2001 Honda accord that I drive 60 miles one way every day to work it has 321,000 miles on it and has never went into limp mode and has never needed to and I feel completely safe in it - I bought it 7 years ago for $5900 - but my $55000 Denali is about to kill me . My Mercedes has never went into or needed limp mode, nor has any of my other vehicles. I had a Mazda 6 that had the oil filter blow off while I was doing 75 a puff of smoke streamed behind me I was able to pull over and get out of harms way. I never once said or had the thought I need limp mode. I had another Honda accord before this one that had the upper radiator hose blow off I was able to pull over safely I never said or thought I needed a limp mode. When my avalanche had 250 miles on it it ran hot on me due to what I later found out was a hole in the water pump . I was in town and stopped at a light when it happened. The truck went into limp mode and I was able to drive 8 miles to my house under reduced power. I bragged on the limp mode feature and thought it was the best thing ever - but that was before limp mode almost killed me and my family! If a message popped up giving u a warning and allowing you to select limp mode, then it would be ok - but it does it automatically and instantly! So I bef you PLEASE stop trying to tell those of us to whom this has happened that slowing us from 75 to 20 without the benefit of brake lights in traffic is a good thing !! We know for certain that it isn't! Brake lights are mandatory on vehicles for a reason!!!!! Because slowing down in traffic without them is dangerous !! What part of that keeps getting missed ?? Our cars and trucks are decelerating rapidly and there is no warning to those behind us ! How I ask can you say that this is a good idea?

Because no one has ever ran out of gas while on the road or had a tire blow out unexpectedly with a 18 wheeler behind them....ever....
I would also point out that your 2001 Honda likely has a throttle cable and is not drive by wire...
I would also point out a vehicle in front of you that is slowing down rapidly is your problem not just theirs....

I can appreciate your frustration with the problem and understand the need to vent, however this is a public forum that has no affiliation to GM, it is provided to help other resolve issues and discuss a common interest in the vehicle brand. What you read in these threads is what folks have posted and if you don't see a fix yet, then in all likelihood none has been suggested or posted at this point.... If you do find useful information we certainly welcome you to share it here...

Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Our cars and trucks are decelerating rapidly and there is no warning to those behind us ! How I ask can you say that this is a good idea?
Because the opposite - unintended acceleration would be even worse?

If replacing the throttle body doesn't clear things up - there is probably some electrical issue that needs tracked down.

Electronic throttle control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Software or electronic failures within the ETC have been suspected by some to be responsible for alleged incidents of unintended acceleration. A series of investigations by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) were unable to get to the bottom of all of the reported incidents of unintended acceleration in 2002 and later model year Toyota and Lexus vehicles. A February 2011 report issued by a team from NASA (which studied the source code and electronics for a 2005 Camry model, at the request of NHTSA) did not rule out software malfunctions as a potential cause.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[3]</sup> In October 2013, the first jury to hear evidence about Toyota's source code (from expert witness Michael Barr (software engineer)<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[4]</sup> found Toyota liable for the death of a passenger in a September 2007 unintended acceleration collision in Oklahoma.

Electronic Throttle Control

I was browsing here - lots of recommendations and different fixes...

Service Traction and ESC [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

E_Net_Rider
12-10-2009, 07:53 AM

if the service traction control light is on, or service stability, then its not powertrain related. not a cat, has nothing to do with poor fuel. unless the engine is misfiring, or other concerns exist with drivability. if not, then its not going to disable the stability system.

the reason that it resets after you turn the car off, is because it IS resetting itself. when it comes on, you need to take it to the dealer, do not shut off the car, take it directly to the shop, tell them to test it without shutting it off. the problem is current when the light is on. most likely - it is a wheel speed sensor failing intermittently, or wiring from the electronic brake control module to one of the wheel speed sensors. fixed several of them for various rear hub failures, few front hubs, had open circuits in the wiring to the wheel speed sensors, and even have had failed EBCM's. you wont know until the vehicle is tested. there will be a chassis DTC in the EBCM for the fault
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Why does everyone have a 18 wheeler behind them when this happens?

Quit making up stories.
Have u ever driven on an interstate? Every other vehicle is an 18 wheeler. Also just in case you don't know - a Chevy cobalt can kill your entire family if it hits u from behind
Old April 22nd, 2015, 1:15 PM
CF Veteran

Have u ever driven on an interstate? Every other vehicle is an 18 wheeler. Also just in case you don't know - a Chevy cobalt can kill your entire family if it hits u from behind
I move out of the way when a GM product is following me and I don't follow any GM products.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Because no one has ever ran out of gas while on the road or had a tire blow out unexpectedly with a 18 wheeler behind them....ever....
I would also point out that your 2001 Honda likely has a throttle cable and is not drive by wire...
I would also point out a vehicle in front of you that is slowing down rapidly is your problem not just theirs....

I can appreciate your frustration with the problem and understand the need to vent, however this is a public forum that has no affiliation to GM, it is provided to help other resolve issues and discuss a common interest in the vehicle brand. What you read in these threads is what folks have posted and if you don't see a fix yet, then in all likelihood none has been suggested or posted at this point.... If you do find useful information we certainly welcome you to share it here...

Not sure what a blowout or running out of gas has to do with limp mode nearly killing people but hydroplaining - you drunk driving - texting and thousands of other things can happen while an 18 wheeler is behind you and be fatal, none of which has anything to do with this issue! I also know what type of board this is and maybe u don't think sharing your stories frustrations horrors etc is helpful but I do especially since my posts include the fact that it happened and that a new throttle body and throttle body connector didn't fix the problem and the fact that it happened to me in a brand new Buick enclave with 66 miles on it. What's puzzling is why u , who have nothing to offer and certainly havent had your life put in jeopardy by this defect, feel the need to chime in. I have contacted the NHTSB and GM directly about this matter. I have also contacted my states attorney generals office. Now after all that I am sorry if u don't think I should tell my story and warn people that even brand new GM vehicles will do this to you. U sound like a GM exec
Old April 22nd, 2015, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

my Honda is drive by cable but how is that a relevant point? If a car is drive by wire - drive by cable - or drive by Bluetooth the fact is that it should be safe. So if GM needs to have a recall and scrap the wires and install cables then so be it. They are ignoring this issue just like they did the ignition problem and people died - ONE life is too many to lose over this limp mode nonsense - you obviously don't feel the same - hopefully the first verified death caused by this issue won't be a friend or family member of yours! I will pray for you !

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!