Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwater Construction Company
Our 2015 Traverse quit when started last night. Did that three times. It would start but run real rough for a few seconds. The fourth time, I nursed it with the throttle (like the '46 chev pickup I learned to drive in, with manual choke) and got it to run. Since it was getting dark, we took a different car and today when I started it, it was fine.

Had it's first oil change 3 days ago at the selling dealer. My son has an Acadia and he warned be to make sure they cleaned the mess up from changing the filter. The filter is big and holds a lot of oil and for some reason, it is mounted on the side of the block so a big mess can happen when it's changed. My son said the first time his wife came home from Grease Monkey, the next morning there was a big puddle under their Acadia but it was from the mess made in changing the filter.

I looked at our Traverse and they either have a means to change the filter without making a mess or they pressure washed the engine compartment. If it was the latter, could water in some wiring connection have caused the stalling problem? Why three days later. I'm a little hestitant to take it in with no symptoms or check engine lights as they would probably charge me. On the other hand, it would be dangerous to have the thing stall on the freeway.

Anyone else have this problem?
Hi there,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concerns regarding your new Traverse! This is certainly not the kind of impression we wanted to provide you, and we would be more than happy to assist in any way.

Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 26th, 2015, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu max and this morning at 5:00 am, went to get in the car started up, went to pull out and it stalled and I gave it gas and the traction control light came on and started driving luckily not very fast and a message came on that said reduced power light came on and lost all power and power steering, put car in ditch and everything. Tried starting back would come on gas pedel on the floor but would now run faster then 5 or 10 miles per hour. Turned car off let set for about five minutes stared up and ran fine.. Anybody know what could be wrong..
Old September 27th, 2015, 5:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhurley3
I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu max and this morning at 5:00 am, went to get in the car started up, went to pull out and it stalled and I gave it gas and the traction control light came on and started driving luckily not very fast and a message came on that said reduced power light came on and lost all power and power steering, put car in ditch and everything. Tried starting back would come on gas pedel on the floor but would now run faster then 5 or 10 miles per hour. Turned car off let set for about five minutes stared up and ran fine.. Anybody know what could be wrong..
Hi JHurley3,

We truly apologize for the unexpected and unsettling situation involving your Malibu. Were you able to get this addressed with your dealership? They will be in the best position to look into this further.

If not, we would be happy to bring this to their attention. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

My wife just left walmart and had the reduce traction and reduced power to engine come on. After reading this forum I had her tow the car to the dealership.

We have had the car for 3 years its a 2010 no problems till today. We have notice a leak in our sunroof . Hoping we can get the problem fixed.

Last edited by Washingtonch; September 29th, 2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old September 29th, 2015, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Malibu engine power reduced

Hey all, bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu in April of 2015 with 60000 miles on it... Brand new engine put in under warranty 3 months after purchase of car. One month after the new engine my car reduces power from 75 mph to 5 mph on the interstate. They replaced the throttle body on it not even a week ago and today I was almost T-boned when the exact same thing happened (esc, service traction, engine power reduced) errors. Happened right when I was crossing a 4 way intersection. They put in ANOTHER new throttle body said the last one was bad. neither one of them were bad...as I can see this is a WIDESPREAD issue. It's okay though I'm going to
Pick the car up tomorrow and the next time this happens I will be in an accident and I will get this problem fixed for me and everyone else dealing with GM beating around the bush with this very dangerous problem.
Old October 1st, 2015, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JimK
I recently experienced the same problem - see my posts in the Impala forum about "Warning . . ."
I can't recommend strongly enough that anyone experiencing this problem file a complaint with NHTSA. It can be done on-line and only takes a few minutes.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This is a very dangerous situation - I dread thinking about what will happen when this occurs in the middle of Atlanta, on the 401 in Toronto, or any major freeway.
I filed a complaint today. My 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT is experiencing these issues. For mine, the Service Traction Control light came on, the Service Engine light came on, and the Eng Pwr Reduced notification came on.

When it happened, there was a popping noise, the car hesitated and lost acceleration power for a second or two, and then appeared to have reduced performance after that.

I was merging into 55 MPH traffic and it happened just as I was merging and was accelerating to do so. Because the car lost acceleration, I thought the car coming up behind me was going to hit me. It was definitely just scary! Not as scary as some of the other posters have noted, but now I am worried it will happen again, and will be worse next time.

It happened yesterday as well, but I was turning into the parking lot at work, so it wasn't as big of an issue, and when I drove home, everything seemed okay, although the only light that had gone off was the traction control.

I plan to go get the codes read when I leave work today.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

I had the codes read on my Cobalt yesterday, and it said that I need to replace the Throttle Position Sensor.

I called around and no one had them in their system, so I called the dealer parts department and was told that the TPS is a part of the Throttle body assembly.

When I questioned why I should have to purchase a $400 part, just to replace the TPS, he stated that he would not do that.

He told me to have a fuel system flush done on my car and then run some fuel additive through the system.

The strange thing is that I have not had anything done to it yet, but everything went back to normal as of today. No service engine soon light, no Traction Control message, no Eng Pwr Reduced message. Very strange!

When I think about the things I have read on here and the circumstances during both incidences, I can state that both times, it was raining, so I wonder if that does have something to do with it.

If it happens again, I will post an update. But I do still plan to run some Sea Foam through the fuel system, which I do with all of my cars periodically anyway.
Old October 17th, 2015, 6:27 PM
JNH
CF Beginner

Default check warranty

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe V6, mileage at service time 71000, service date was 10/16/2015, serviced at Doug’s Chevrolet in Akron Ohio. I had the issue of “Reducing Engine Power” then “Shutting Engine Down”. I discussed this with the dealership service department and they agreed that it was going to be either the ECM or the Throttle Body. They said the ECM is covered under Federal Emission Warranty (8yr/80,000 mile), and the Throttle Body was also covered under “some other” warranty (hmm on that one, they did not go into specifics). After diagnostics they replaced the ECM, total cost, zero. The Federal Emission Warranty covers diagnostics and labor as well as the parts. Glad I did my research, so posting this so that others with this problem are aware, go to the dealership!

Last edited by JNH; October 17th, 2015 at 6:30 PM.
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced engine power-- replaced the faulty computer

This happened to me this week in my 2009 Equinox. VERY VERY dangerous. I was able to pull over and get towed to my garage. Next morning they called to say they saw I dropped the car off to get inspected and it passed and I could come pick it up. They were VERY surprised to here it had been towed in. After explaining the problem, the garage let if run for a while and after an hour, the stabilitrak, check engine, reduced engine power lights came on.

He said the problem was the computer was faulty and needed to be replaced, but could only be done at a dealership. So the car was towed there and the dealer replaced the computer.

No one said anything about the throttle. They said it was the computer.
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:34 AM
JNH
CF Beginner

For your 2009 Equinox, if you have LESS then 80,000 miles then this replacement of the ECM (Emissions Control Module) is FREE, including all diagnostics that they perform.

Also, if you experience this issue and a service department resets the codes because they just cant fully diagnose the issue, then the ECM error will fire off again ONLY after six more cycles, so this may take a month or two based on how often the vehicle is driven and how often the error happens.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!