Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2016, 7:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it is tps and covered by the special coverage you DO NOT have to pay diagnostic fees, that is PART OF the special coverage. If they are saying you have to pay diag even if it is covered they're full of it.
Old February 9th, 2016, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
So you refused repairs? Nice.
Yes we refused repairs from the chevy dealer. They were kind enough to waive the $100 diagnostic fee and tell me what was wrong. I bought my own MAP sensor (about $20) and replaced it myself (very easy). The traction control and stability errors occurred only a few more times and eventually stopped to this day. I'm not 100% sure it's fixed, but I will update if any errors come back.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nyocam82
I bought a 2010 Chevy malibu ltz from Autonation and purchased the extended warranty (New Plan), car gave Reduced Engine Power mssg, initial start of car, would start doing funny things, engine light comes on, had code read and gave TSP code for replacement. Took car to Chevy dealership, said they would have to do a full diagnosis costing me $115.00 in order for them to send for an approval for my warranty and to make sure that it's really the TSP. RRRRGH, I was so tempted to finding a replacement to have our own mechanic do this for me, of course, was informed any after factory part installed would void warranty...sounds like GM really wants you to be stuck paying them to deal with such defects in their vehicles. Horrible....sometimes I think I have no choice but to gamble with $115 for whatever they diagnose this vehicle and wait for the bad news. The GM throttle body part alone would cost me around $300+. This is such a catastrophe, if anyone has any advice, please send it this way...on top of that...it's Calclulus class work. Awesome...
Hi Nyocam82,

We apologize for the unexpected situation with your vehicle, and we can understand how out of pocket expenses can be frustrating. We do rely heavily on the dealership to provide us with the technical information based on their diagnosis. However, we would be happy to reach out to them on your behalf and add an extra layer of assistance. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 14th, 2016, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same thing happened to my Cruze

Now I am out $430. I expressed my anger and frustration about the throttle body issue to both dealers that were involved. Both of them condescended me and looked at me like I had 3 eyes and 2 noses. Then lectured me about an extended warranty. I guess it will take a death or a few for GM to make this right with their customers.
Old February 18th, 2016, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Replacing Throttle Body

I hope this really works for you. I had the throttle body and pedal position sensor replaced in January 2014 on my 2005 Chevy Cobalt. If it was colder than 20 degrees out, my car would stall when when ever the clutch was engaged and I came to a stop. It cost me $630.00 and only solved the problem for about 6 months. Now not only does it still stall, it has started the Reduced Engine Power problem also. Sad to say I will never buy a GM vehicle again.
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

I'm glad to have found this site!

Today (2/18) I had the same thing happen to my 2009 Malibu LT with 208,000 miles on it, the temp was right around 20. I was driving about 45mph when it started to run rough and the message displayed that had "ESC maintenance service traction, engine power reduced" and the check engine light came on. I was able to find a place to pull over. Stopped and started it which did nothing. Stopped the car for a few minutes and tried it again, this time everything sounded good but the check engine light is on. The rest of the ride (30 minutes) to work was fine. This is the first time that this has happened, I've had the car for about 6 years.

What would be the recommended next steps on getting this fixed?
Old February 18th, 2016, 9:32 PM
CF Veteran

getting the codes to get a direction to go, those messages aren't caused by one single problem as many people seem to think
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dss44889
I'm glad to have found this site!

Today (2/18) I had the same thing happen to my 2009 Malibu LT with 208,000 miles on it, the temp was right around 20. I was driving about 45mph when it started to run rough and the message displayed that had "ESC maintenance service traction, engine power reduced" and the check engine light came on. I was able to find a place to pull over. Stopped and started it which did nothing. Stopped the car for a few minutes and tried it again, this time everything sounded good but the check engine light is on. The rest of the ride (30 minutes) to work was fine. This is the first time that this has happened, I've had the car for about 6 years.

What would be the recommended next steps on getting this fixed?
The forum is glad to have you, dss44889!

We do apologize for the unexpected concern that you encountered with your Malibu. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of this? Our team would be happy to contact them to set up an appointment for diagnosis. If interested, please send us a direct message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership. I appreciate your time and hope you have a great weekend.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Service; February 19th, 2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all, new to the site. I recently have been having the same issue on a 09 Impala, drove it home it ran fine, a few minutes (10 or 15) my wife went to go to work service tc reduced engine power, code po651. I don't see any relation to the problem. Refers to an open circuit b 5 volts. Seeing as most of the posts refer to throttle problems has anyone looked at the intake manifold, the reason I ask this is I had a 76 Dodge 318 that gave me the same problems ( I know different era, whole new ball game with drive by wire) the engine would bog down flood thought the float was sticking rebuilt carb tried a part swap turned out the intake was clogged with carbon & varnish. It's a longshot but had to ask.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 7:35 PM
CF Veteran

that could would definitely cause issues
The 5-volt reference 1 buss provides 5 volts to the following sensors:

• The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
  • The fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor
  • The accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 2
  • The air conditioning (A/C) refrigerant pressure sensor
  • The camshaft position (CMP) sensor
  • The engine oil pressure sensor

The 5-volt reference 2 buss provides 5 volts to the following sensors:

• The APP sensor 1
  • The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
  • The throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!