Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi cleveland63b thank you for the reply, I replaced app & tp at the throttle body sensor didn't know the crankshaft sensor was linked to the same curcuit. Thanx for the info.
Old March 8th, 2016, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine power reduced . Close calls !!

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to look into this for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hello Erica !

My name is Addi and I too have been having this exact same problem with my 2009 Chevy express . It's very frightening driving around not knowing when to expect my car to stall out. Is there anything your company can do to help resolve this situation ?

Thanks !

-Addi
Old March 9th, 2016, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! My daughters fiance works for a Chevy Dealer here in town so he replaced the sensor for me and its fine. No problems since. part was like $109 and he did it in like 30 minutes. My car would not run if it was cold it would start fine but after driving a little bit it would chug, the traction, service light and all that would start. Had the wiring done by the dealer last year, that didnt fix it but so far just changing out that sensor has worked.
Old March 9th, 2016, 7:00 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Addi
Hello Erica !

My name is Addi and I too have been having this exact same problem with my 2009 Chevy express . It's very frightening driving around not knowing when to expect my car to stall out. Is there anything your company can do to help resolve this situation ?

Thanks !

-Addi
Hello Addi,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your Express and apologize for any inconvenient caused. Have you had this vehicle concern diagnosed by your local certified Chevrolet dealership? They would be in the best position to diagnose your vehicle concern and provide you with a resolution.
As an extra layer of assistance, I can reach out to your dealership on your behalf to assist with scheduling an appointment for diagnosis. If you would like to proceed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, and the name of your preferred dealership.
For privacy purposes, I kindly ask that you remove your phone number from your public post as it can be viewed by all community members.
Please feel free to include any questions that you may have in your private message. I am always happy to assist.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 11th, 2016, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 06 Malibu Engine shuts down while driving

I have an 06 Malibu LTZ, several times today times while trying to get back home, the engine just shuts down, having to coast to a stop. No power anything. The display reads engine power reduced (shut down) and engine disabled. On a couple of occasions the display also read power steering. After a few minutes the car would restart. Any suggestions?
Old March 12th, 2016, 2:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by tbond
I have an 06 Malibu LTZ, several times today times while trying to get back home, the engine just shuts down, having to coast to a stop. No power anything. The display reads engine power reduced (shut down) and engine disabled. On a couple of occasions the display also read power steering. After a few minutes the car would restart. Any suggestions?
Hi Tbond,

We apologize for the unexpected concerns regarding your Malibu, and we can understand how unsettling this may seem. We would be happy to look into this more, and get in touch with your dealership. If interested, feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 14th, 2016, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Malibu Chk engine light

I received a call from my dealership about a seat belt recall. I scheduled an appointment for today.

This morning, I get in the car and start the engine. Suddenly, my check engine light is on and I get a warning that says Engine Power Reduced, Service Traction.

I made it to the dealership and I am waiting, as I type this. I have seen other comments about this same issue.

Is this something that is normally covered under warranty?
Old March 14th, 2016, 9:50 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Russ Fisher
I received a call from my dealership about a seat belt recall. I scheduled an appointment for today.

This morning, I get in the car and start the engine. Suddenly, my check engine light is on and I get a warning that says Engine Power Reduced, Service Traction.

I made it to the dealership and I am waiting, as I type this. I have seen other comments about this same issue.

Is this something that is normally covered under warranty?
Hello Russ,

Glad to hear that you're currently at the dealership to look into this further, and take care of the recall. They will be in the best position to provide insight to the unexpected concern with the Engine Reduced Power warning. However, if you should need any additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message here along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealer you are at.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 17th, 2016, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Engine power reduce Saturn aura 2009 Xe

On my way to work today I was almost in a very bad car accident on the NYS thru. My car just engine just starting powering down and shake the care terribly and also flashing service esc. This was very scary as I was doing 65 mph and cars coming from behind me without me being able to accelerate or get off any exits. By the grace of god I was able to coast to the shoulder and pull over. I turned off the car and after 10 mins was able to restart and drive but with the engine light still be illuminated. I have the car for 5 years will over 115k. Really never had any real problems until today. I'm scared to drive from work as I work almost 20 miles away from home and do not know what to do. Is there any advise that I can be given.
Old March 18th, 2016, 2:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Ntyson1
On my way to work today I was almost in a very bad car accident on the NYS thru. My car just engine just starting powering down and shake the care terribly and also flashing service esc. This was very scary as I was doing 65 mph and cars coming from behind me without me being able to accelerate or get off any exits. By the grace of god I was able to coast to the shoulder and pull over. I turned off the car and after 10 mins was able to restart and drive but with the engine light still be illuminated. I have the car for 5 years will over 115k. Really never had any real problems until today. I'm scared to drive from work as I work almost 20 miles away from home and do not know what to do. Is there any advise that I can be given.
Hello Ntyson1,

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the unexpected concern that you encountered with your vehicle. If you're thinking you'd like to work with a certified Chevrolet dealership to address this, I would be more than happy to contact them on your behalf. We can also check your VIN to see if there are any service announcements or recalls listed referencing this concern. Should this interest you, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Kind regards,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!