Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2016, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 Malibu Owner
I'm sick to my stomach reading about the ongoing problem of reduced engine power with GM vehicles which is now happening to my 2016 Malibu Premier. Had I known, I would not have bought this vehicle. I've only had it for a month (purchased July 2016) and it has been in the GM Dealer shop for two separate issues, (Disabled Collision Warning System and Reduced Engine Power). The GM Technician had to trouble shoot with GM (tac) regarding the disabled collision warning system. Their solution was to clear the codes to reset the computer to fix the problem. It worked, but I was asked if I had recently taken it through a car wash. I told them I did and they said they would advise GM. I haven't gone through a car wash since getting the Collision Warning System reactivated. Last week, they replaced the electronic throttle body (vehicle had to be towed), but it acted up again the very next day. It's back in the gm garage waiting to be looked at. I've already lost all confidence in this vehicle and regret having made the purchase. I specifically upgraded to this vehicle so that my daughter would feel safe driving it, but I don't want to drive it myself. I will let you know what parts they decide to change next.
I drove the new 2016 2 liter turbo and found the same issue. While pulling out of the dealership it had a bad case of turbo bog.. I opted for a 2016 Malibu Limited with the 2.5. It has plenty of power with the new Ecotec engine, almost as good as a V6. The stop and start feature takes a bit to get used too especially in hot climate like the Mississippi Gulf Coast. It's easy to defeat, just slip it into neutral for a long stop. No spare took me by surprise. I watched the video on airing up a flat--perhaps it will work OK. I then asked myself, "how long since I had a flat tire?" The last time i remember was in 1999 on my motor-home. I don't remember in car. Good luck with the turbo nightmare. Lee
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default A Long Shot

This may seem out of left field, may I ask you to take a look under your oil cap, is there any condensation or a "butterscotch pudding" coloured emulsion present?

PM me and I can share with you my trials and tribulations on this Engine Power Reduced gremlin, if enough people are in the same boat, I'll post a reply otherwise I'd just be sidetracking this thread unnecessarily.

Take care and good luck.
Old October 11th, 2016, 2:31 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Its been my experience and understanding that some condensate build up under the oil fill cap can be normal in some conditions, other factors like loss of coolant in the overflow tank or noticeable milkiness of the oil when it is changed should also be considered not just the pookie under the oil filler cap.
Short drives can cause moisture build up.
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 4cyl auto chevy malibu. Occasionally an ecd code pops up but goes away when I turn it off and back on. It has happened 2 weeks ago and 2 months before that. That has been the only issue with my car. I enjoy driving it, and its a smooth car. I have 11 more payements left and on a whim I started to look up problems with this car. Then I found about this issue with numerous other chevy malibus on several boards. clearly I am more than a little concerned that this car becoming a problem. I do not want my car to go into some foolish safety mode for no reason while I am driving on a busy boston highway and then go from 70mph to 10 for no reason. that would kill me and my family. I have 68000 miles on this car and have no problem trading it in and never buying a chevy again.

to the people having this issue... do you have a 4cyl? a 6 cyl? Im wondering if their is a pattern to type of motor or if it just covers all these vehicles. Im amazed that there is not a recall with this.
Old December 10th, 2016, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

This kind of answer does not help us solve the problem, just want get some excuse for GM.
Old December 10th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Same problem happened to my car - malibu 2012

Originally Posted by greenfield3
This has happened to me 4 times in the past two weeks, and I am honestly lucky to be alive. I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu with 58,000 miles on it. My husband and I just moved from Dallas to Atlanta, so I have had to make several trips back and forth to handle things with our home in Dallas. The first time this happened, I was about 70 miles outside of Atlanta going 70 MPH on the highway surrounded by 18 wheelers. Suddenly my traction light and service engine light came on and the reduced power notification came on, the car slowed to about 10 miles an hour very suddenly and the car was shaking violently.

The 18 wheeler behind me could not stop fast enough and the only reason I was not hit was because I was able to veer onto the shoulder. Terrified, I sat on the side of the road for several minutes after turning the car off. I started it again and it began driving normally, but the service engine light stayed on. Since I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere and it was extremely dark, I got back on the road again to get home. I made it to Atlanta, but the same thing happened again when I was entering the city on the loop. I basically coasted home. We took it to Goodyear the next day because that was the closest place. They told us it was the gas pedal sensor and charged us $265 to replace it. The car seemed to work normally until a week later I was back in Texas when the exact same thing occurred when I was going 60 MPH on the highway.

Luckily, I was close enough to yet another Goodyear to coast in. They told me there was a frayed wire on the throttle body pigtail and they replaced that for $113.40. Again, the car seemed to work normally for a few days until I was again on the highway, this time in Jackson, MS and the same situation happened again. I was able to coast into a Chevy dealership this time. Here they told me that the problem was the Engine Control Module and they replaced it free of charge saying it was under warranty. Since I spent all day there, I was now faced with driving to Atlanta in the dark, not trusting that this would not happen again. Thank God I stopped in Birmingham and got a hotel room, because the whole thing happened yet again. I got it towed to a Chevy dealership the next morning, and because it was now Christmas Eve, no one would even look at it since they all wanted to go home at noon.

So that I would not have to spend Christmas alone in a hotel room, I rented a car to get to Atlanta. It is now the day after Christmas, and the Chevy dealership just called to tell me it is an internal failure of the throttle body, and it will cost $550 to fix it. So, I am faced with driving 3 hours back to Birmingham, paying all that money, only to risk my life driving it 3 hours back to Atlanta, hoping this won't happen again. Oh, and if you are wondering why I didn't trade it in somewhere in this whole process, it is because I currently owe more than the trade in value. Sorry for the long post, but I feel helpless and hopeless at the moment, not to mention I am broke now. I hope I make it back to Atlanta in one piece.

Thanks, Chevy, and Merry Christmas!
Same problem happened to my car - malibu 2012, anyone get right solution? I also send private message to them, but no answer.
Old December 10th, 2016, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Malibu 2012, replaced the whole throttle body and gas pedal sensor, about half year is Ok. Recently, it happens occasionally again. Really frustrated, anyone can help me?
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello Huuuyouyou,

Our apologies for the delay in our response, however, I can confirm that our team has just responded to your private message. Please review it at your earliest convenience, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine Power Reduced 2007 Chevy Malibu

I am completely done with GM, all Chevy makes & models & anything American period. This is the 4th issue I've had with my 2007 Chevy Malibu & this Full Throttle Body needs to be recalled like everything else. I have to kick out $1k to fix this issue to include parts & labor. First, my power steering went out on me while driving on the highway & almost got me killed a few years ago. I paid $1,400 out of pocket to fix the issue & once it was recalled, I only got $850 of my money back & had to fight for that. Second, the brake light harness was recalled which luckily I didn't have to pay out of pocket to fix. Third, it became hard to shift from park to reverse or drive & that's when the next recall notice came in. The gear shift needed to replaced & again, luckily I didn't have to come out of pocket. Now there's this 4th issue with Full Throttle Body that needs replacing. I wonder how much of my $1k will be refunded once it's recalled? I'm sure it will by the amount of complaints I see in this forum. GM won't help with any financial assistance & I have had it up to my neck with this vehicle. I'm going to trade it in next year & be done with it. Thanks for nothing but headache & hardship GM & Chevy.
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Huuuyouyou,

Our apologies for the delay in our response, however, I can confirm that our team has just responded to your private message. Please review it at your earliest convenience, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I hope Chelsea or somebody from Chevy Customer Care gets back to me:

I am completely done with GM, all Chevy makes & models & anything American period. This is the 4th issue I've had with my 2007 Chevy Malibu & this Full Throttle Body needs to be recalled like everything else. I have to kick out $1k to fix this issue to include parts & labor. First, my power steering went out on me while driving on the highway & almost got me killed a few years ago. I paid $1,400 out of pocket to fix the issue & once it was recalled, I only got $850 of my money back & had to fight for that. Second, the brake light harness was recalled which luckily I didn't have to pay out of pocket to fix. Third, it became hard to shift from park to reverse or drive & that's when the next recall notice came in. The gear shift needed to replaced & again, luckily I didn't have to come out of pocket. Now there's this 4th issue with Full Throttle Body that needs replacing. I wonder how much of my $1k will be refunded once it's recalled? I'm sure it will by the amount of complaints I see in this forum. GM won't help with any financial assistance & I have had it up to my neck with this vehicle. I'm going to trade it in next year & be done with it. Thanks for nothing but headache & hardship GM & Chevy.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!