Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Very low fuel eco 2016 Chevy Malibu

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2019, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very low fuel eco 2016 Chevy Malibu

Hi! Just bought a 2016 Chevy Malibu 1LT from Enterprise a couple months ago. I've been calculating the MPGS I get from the car and get only 250 miles per full tank which is 23 miles a gallon... seems very low for a car that is 27 city and 37 highway. Do an even combo of city and highway. I live in Wisconsin so of course they're telling me it's the weather but we had a nice week of mid 60s and am still getting the same results. Its really a pain in the butt to fill up so frequently. Any suggestions?
Old April 17th, 2019, 6:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you calculating the mileage by miles driven/gallons used? You need to record several fill ups before you can get an idea of the true average fuel mileage.

A simple tuneup (spark plugs, wires, etc) may bring the average up a mile or two per gallon.
Old April 20th, 2019, 12:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachary Larson
Hi! Just bought a 2016 Chevy Malibu 1LT from Enterprise a couple months ago. I've been calculating the MPGS I get from the car and get only 250 miles per full tank which is 23 miles a gallon... seems very low for a car that is 27 city and 37 highway. Do an even combo of city and highway. I live in Wisconsin so of course they're telling me it's the weather but we had a nice week of mid 60s and am still getting the same results. Its really a pain in the butt to fill up so frequently. Any suggestions?
You need to have it checked out. Since only the Malibu 1.5 and the 2.0 liter were available in 2016 and places like Enterprise get the small motor, that some bad gas mileage. My 15 2.5 Bu' does better then that and up to 27 MPG full-city mode, all depending. Probably need to clean the valves with some CRC/seafoam valve cleaner, clean the MAF up on the check plugs and see if that helps. How many miles do you have on the car?
Old April 26th, 2019, 1:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check it several times then you can know the real fuel mileage.