Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1997 Lumina Race Car ignition switch help!

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2012, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Lumina Race Car ignition switch help!

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1997 Lumina 3.1 to use in South Sound Speedway's (my local track) FWD V6 Bump-To-Pass class, subsequently we had to take out the dashboard for safety reasons and so that the required rollcage would fit, and the steering wheel was replaced with a quick disconnect style.

Because of these, we have this wierd slider style ignition switch that looks like it was activated with a rod, that was moved by the actual lock cylinder.

We still have the keys duct taped into the key cylinder for VATS which will be tucked up into the sheetmetal dashboard, but we would like to put the starter onto a pushbutton, and the ignition switch itself onto a two position (on-off), or three position toggle (on, off, acc if required) so we can ditch the slider.

The wires going into the ignition switch slider are colored Yellow (starter), Red (12V hot), Brown, Pink, Purple, a light brown tan colored one, and a Red with White Stripe. I would like to know what wires do what so we can wire them up to a toggle. As of right now, if I put some sort of small screwdriver into the hole for the slider switch, I can find all the positions (acc, off, start, run) and the car will start, no security light flashing on instrument cluster (like I said, VATS key is duct taped into cylinder, cylinder still wired up). Any suggestions?

I'd like to know how the switch works, like. Red is always hot, so what wires go hot in the run position? What needs to be grounded and when so we can get this wired up. It doesnt even have to be one switch, I've seen there are two ingition wires, brown and pink I think, if those need to be on seperate toggles so be it.