New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

350 rebuild, help!

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 rebuild, help!

Hello,

I got a 79 Chevy Pickup with a fresh rebuilt 350 small block (almost 300 miles on rebuild). Been running great up until this weekend. Drove it about 15 miles out of town but when I started it to come back and it started and has been running rough since. Running as if I had a fowled plug, Checked spark plugs and wires all is good. Almost seems like the timing is off but not sure if it's possible to throw timing off while driving. Had a friend look/listen to it and he said it sounds like it's not firing on all 8 cylinders? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Again new to Chevy motors so I'll try and answer questions the best that I can. Thank you and God Bless!
Old December 8th, 2015, 9:46 AM
CF Veteran

you need to pin it down to which cylinder is misfiring and go from there ,broken valve spring or rocker arm not adjusted right due to loosening up exct. also check the timing to see if it has slipped .
Old December 8th, 2015, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much.
Old December 8th, 2015, 9:57 PM
CF Veteran

no problem keep us apprised of what you find .
Old December 11th, 2015, 1:21 AM
CF Active Member

The timing is worth checking, almost the same issue on my friend's S10.
Old December 13th, 2015, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Up date on my problem, one of the rocker arm nuts backed out and almost off preventing the valve from opening on the first cylinder. Running great now! Thanks for all your input!
Old December 27th, 2016, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help

So I purchased this 350 Short block from a guy and he threw in a 400 short block with it as well. I'm not a real big motor head. But I'd like to get into it. What motor should I start with first? I wanna tear them down and build them back up so I learn everything I can about them. Everyone has a 383 Stroker motor but I wanna do something different. (Wanna put this in a Mud-Truck) any advice would be greatly appreciated. Want a lot of Turque and Horsepower