New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

abs light is on

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2017, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs light is on

i am having an issue of the front brakes applying themselves for no reason.. when this happens the brake pedal is all the way out and has no pedal travel [pedal is very firm] also the abs light is on
I recently changed out the rotors and pads on the front brakes ,at that time the right front caliper was also replaced because of sticking. when i discovered that the brakes were sticking i was too far from home to stop so I had to drive another few miles before reaching home. This caused the right side rotor to glow orange[ the sticking caliper] so, the caliper was changed and thorougaly bled out using a vacum pump and someone pumping the brakes,
Could the excessive heat cause the sensor in the hub assembly to malfunction and could this also be a faulty hub bearing issue?
The drivers side hub bearing was replaced a couple years back, any one with a similar issue on their truck?
Both front brakes were sticking, not just the right side ...

Last edited by 1955 del ray; August 31st, 2017 at 5:26 PM.
Old September 1st, 2017, 8:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes. You will need an abs scan tool to pin point the issue.
Old September 1st, 2017, 1:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

do you mean the front calipers are dragging or the abs pump is activating and you hear the pump valves buzzing?

dragging brakes with hot rotors, no brake pedal free play is a symptom of a bad master cylinder. I would check the calipers and flex lines also. If its more than one wheel stuck on...master is the more likely issue.

post your code and see if its helps with diagnosis. Sometimes abs modules will set irrationality dtc when it sees brake pressure in the system but the pedal is not pressed.

Last edited by tech2; September 1st, 2017 at 1:55 PM.
Old September 1st, 2017, 4:43 PM
CF Monarch

Yay! I have an issue with my Suburban 03 with check abs. Had the rear brakes/rotors replaced.
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Yay! I have an issue with my Suburban 03 with check abs. Had the rear brakes/rotors replaced.
yay?...sounds like you can't wait to diagnose it
Old September 2nd, 2017, 8:03 AM
CF Monarch

Sarcasim
Old September 4th, 2017, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
do you mean the front calipers are dragging or the abs pump is activating and you hear the pump valves buzzing?

dragging brakes with hot rotors, no brake pedal free play is a symptom of a bad master cylinder. I would check the calipers and flex lines also. If its more than one wheel stuck on...master is the more likely issue.

post your code and see if its helps with diagnosis. Sometimes abs modules will set irrationality dtc when it sees brake pressure in the system but the pedal is not pressed.
the front calipers seem to be applying by just driving. I have disconnected the abs fuse .cleared all dtc's and re -installed the fuse . I have taken short trips with no problem but the pedal seems mu ch lower than before