Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Welcome Area (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/new-member-welcome-area-4/)
-   -   New member from Ireland (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/new-member-welcome-area-4/new-member-ireland-95829/)

k2500europe June 8th, 2019 10:21 AM

New member from Ireland

Hi all, new member here from Ireland here that is just after buying his first American vehicle.
I have bought a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban 6.5 turbo diesel 4X4 and am trying to get it registered in my country but the local authoritys need to see where the vin number is stamped on the body or the frame, the vin plate on the left lower side of windshield is not good enough for them, any experts here that can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

oilcanhenry June 8th, 2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by k2500europe (Post 429321)
Hi all, new member here from Ireland here that is just after buying his first American vehicle.
I have bought a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban 6.5 turbo diesel 4X4 and am trying to get it registered in my country but the local authoritys need to see where the vin number is stamped on the body or the frame, the vin plate on the left lower side of windshield is not good enough for them, any experts here that can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fáilte anseo mo chara,

I know of no place that US light vehicle manufacturers put the VIN number, but the plate under the windshield. Many years ago, I believe it was on the door jam, or under the hood, but the US wanted it visible to law-enforcement, so the VIN is on the dash, under the windshield. Would not the title show the VIN number that Ireland would accept?

k2500europe June 8th, 2019 1:09 PM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 429343)
Fáilte anseo mo chara,

I know of no place that US light vehicle manufacturers put the VIN number, but the plate under the windshield. Many years ago, I believe it was on the door jam, or under the hood, but the US wanted it visible to law-enforcement, so the VIN is on the dash, under the windshield. Would not the title show the VIN number that Ireland would accept?

Thanks for replying, the title does show the vin but the authorities here say the tag on the windshield is easily replicated and think it should be the same as european vehicles that have it stamped on the chassis.

SuperSmooth June 14th, 2019 11:51 AM

Welcome aboard

Irish_alley June 14th, 2019 12:47 PM

at one time GM did put a partial vin on the frame but it was only the last few numbers and it was stamped. you could easily do that yourself. im sure that practice was stopped years ago not to mention it didnt take much rust to cover the stamped number up. the vin plate itself can be messed with, the rivets are a little harder to get as theyre not the typical round rivets. but you can buy them online. in the states we only use the vin plate unless the vehicle has to go through state police inspection to see if its been messed with.