Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1964 Pontiac Parisienne (Chevy 230 ci) Problems Running

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2022, 5:32 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1964 Pontiac Parisienne (Chevy 230 ci) Problems Running

Hi everyone,

It is my first time posting here. I'm trying to get my grandpa's 1964 Pontiac Parisienne going and I'm having trouble trying to get it running nice. It has a Chevy 230 ci straight six with a Rochester BV carburetor. I can get it idling well and when I pip the throttle in park it doesn't stutter. unfortunately, when I rev it out to higher RPMs I get a backfire and when I put it into drive it dies under any significant load. It has a new distributor, new plugs/ wires, and I just rebuilt the carb. I have set the timing 4 degrees above TDC (without the vacuum advance), and I am getting between 16 and 17 inches of vacuum when measured from the intake manifold. The only other thing that I have noticed, is that there is a massive leak coming from the exhaust manifold; I don't know if that would make a huge difference or not. I am no expert at all when it comes to tuning a carburetor or working on old cars, this car was made almost 40 years before I was born and I'm just trying to get it running again. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated thank you.