Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 Impala....Blower Issue....

Old December 6th, 2017, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Impala....Blower Issue....

All,
Got a 2001 Impala 3.4 and it is a basic Impala...cassette...manual controls for heat etc....with about 115K on the odometer...Owned by family since bought brand new (8 miles) off the showroom floor.

Anyways the vehicle has been sitting for about 2 years... bought a new house...drove it to new house and drove it for a year and then parked it...nothing really wrong with it but been using my 07 Saturn as my daily driver (better MPG) and this as back up...I do a 80+ mile round trip commute...The impala does have a ABS light which showed up after the last new tire changeover and alignment....but that's been there for years assumed they cracked a sensor or disconnected it....been on the "list" but as I said not driven it in a long while. I am usually really good on maintenance but as I said bought a new house so money has been a little tight. The Impala other then typical fluid changes/plugs/tuneup/pads/suspension maintenance items has been a very reliable vehicle.

So this fall I bring the car out of the garage and find that the battery in it has went dead and the battery is about 8 years old... so I bought a new one from Rural King.

The vehicle starts right up and I drive it for about 600 miles (a week or so). Noticed off the bat that the right flasher is much faster then left (assumed bad brake lightbulb) but then I get a dash brake light....I check the emergency brake and fluids and everything seems just fine....brakes are fairly firm...not as firm as my performance set on my Saturn...but still firm and things seem to brake just fine...Maybe need new brake pads(?) but from records I changed them at 92K and they appear to have ample "meat" left on them.

Another week goes by and weather is cooling so I start to use the heater regularly. Everything works as normal...initially...then all of a sudden the blower only works on the number 4 setting. Still no big deal...leave it at 4 setting for about 2 weeks before the latest problem...The blower will not turn off.

If I shut the car down...the blower will continue to run...even to the point, I assume, of draining the battery dead. I found the issue initially by going into a Walmart doing some Christmas shopping and coming back out to find it still running.

If I pull the blower fuse from the dashboard fuse holder the blower still runs. If I pull every fuse from the dash and put them all in a cup...it still runs.

I have read that the blower resistor pack may be bad...I have changed them a time or two in the past on other cars but the fuse pull and still running gives me an impression I have something else awry...something more electrical in nature...a ground issue or a feedback through ground...Anyone have a 2001 Impala electrical diagram/Suggestions?

Thanks
Chris

Search this Thread