S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problems

I was driving the other day and when I went to brake, the brakes were solid. I don't mean firm, I'm talking they wouldn't move at all, couldn't stop. When I tried to stop, the engine sounded like it was going to shut off and almost did a couple of times. When I let off of the brake, the engine ran fine. It did it twice in about a 30-60 second span. I wasn't going fast, maybe 25 or 30 mph. Does anyone know what would have caused this and how to fix the problem? Thank you.
Old July 31st, 2007, 1:47 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Brake problems

only thing I can think is air in the brake line, this can prevent it from releasing but generally that is when the brakes are locked, I would guess maybe the same but "reverse" effect. do a quick bleed and assure no air or blocks in the line would be my first guess.alsoassuming pads,rotors/drums are fine
Old July 31st, 2007, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

That's what i thinking, but would that have made the engine shut off? That's what got me. My buddy was with me and we both thought it might be air in the line, but then were confused by it starting to shut off. It has been driven about 20 miles after that happenedand hasn't done it since then.
Old July 31st, 2007, 6:13 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: runge_24

That's what i thinking, but would that have made the engine shut off? That's what got me. My buddy was with me and we both thought it might be air in the line, but then were confused by it starting to shut off. It has been driven about 20 miles after that happenedand hasn't done it since then.
the only test I can come up with is to "shut off" the engine while your stopped, and see if the brake pressure feels like it did when you experienced the problem.i.e. could it be as simple as the engine dieing and loosing the "power" to break lines?(not that engine running is a requirement for brakes, but maybe you see where I am getting at)just a thought, granted might not be the best thought LMAO! good luck either way
Old August 1st, 2007, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

yea, when i went to start it up before all that happened, they felt solid but i didn't think anything of it and they didn't do anything for a couple of minutes after i started, so i don't know what the hell is wrong with it, but i don't want to drive anywhere far with it because i don't want to get going and not be able to start so hopefully i can figure it out. thanks.
Old August 13th, 2007, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Your problem is probably a leak in your power brake booster. It uses the vacuum from your engine to give you power brakes. I had a similar problem when my booster started to fail. Your's may have a leak in the vacuum line or a broken seal. I don't think it is air in your brake lines since that just causes your pedal to go soft.