S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Fixing grandma’s Blazer

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2019, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Grandma’s Blazer. Crank, no start, drained battery, empty fuel gauge.

Okay. I have a 2000 S10 blazer 2wd. Only 135k miles. Fuel gauge was at 1/4, then E, then 1/4 then E, with a no start. All my investigating lead me to believe it needed a fuel pump. Also, had a battery that was 1 yr, 4 mo old. Battery died trying to start it it. Put battery on trickle charger, couldn’t bring it back to life. I thought okay bad battery. I replaced battery, some deteriorated evap hoses, and bypassed the security system in case that was draining the battery, as I cld find nothing else. I left the car for two weeks. Came back tried to start just for the heck of it, no go. It does crank, but does not start. But still had power. Inside lights on, dash light on, etc. I disconnected the neg cable for 4-5 days to change fuel filter and fuel pump. ( lock ring and front tank strap frame nut gave me problems.) Got her back together and on level ground, added top tier gas, and she would not start. Also, fuel gauge still below Empty. Crank yes, start no. Tried a few times and all of the sudden I have a dead battery. Hooked her to my Tahoe, and couldn’t even jump her. Prior to all of this, I did hook up an OBD II reader. 44 codes. MAF and MAP, I’ll need to change those sensors I know. Most seemed related to that. HO2S, EGR, PCM...I’m thinking next is check for spark? Check cap/rotor. I attempted to do a parasitic draw test, but not sure I know what I was doing. And didn’t have enough power to test. Grandmas griping about no independence. Really want to get this fixed for her. Right now I have a new dead battery the trickle charger isn’t even helping. So can’t even scan it again. How did it lose power with the neg disconnected? Please help

Last edited by Pro Tow; July 13th, 2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old June 13th, 2019, 9:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Tow
Okay. I have a 2000 S10 blazer 2wd. Only 135k miles. Fuel gauge was at 1/4, then E, then 1/4 then E, with a no start. All my investigating lead me to believe it needed a fuel pump. Also, had a battery that was 1 yr, 4 mo old. Battery died trying to start it it. Put battery on trickle charger, couldn’t bring it back to life. I thought okay bad battery. I replaced battery, some deteriorated evap hoses, and bypassed the security system in case that was draining the battery, as I cld find nothing else. I left the car for two weeks. Came back tried to start just for the heck of it, no go. It does crank, but does not start. But still had power. Inside lights on, dash light on, etc. I disconnected the neg cable for 4-5 days to change fuel filter and fuel pump. ( lock ring and front tank strap frame nut gave me problems.) Got her back together and on level ground, added top tier gas, and she would start. Also, fuel gauge still below Empty. Crank yes, start no. Tried a few times and all of the sudden I have a dead battery. Hooked her to my Tahoe, and couldn’t even jump her. Prior to all of this, I did hook up an OBD II reader. 44 codes. MAF and MAP, I’ll prob need to change those sensors I know. Most seemed related to that. HO2S, EGR, PCM...I’m thinking next is check for spark? Check cap/rotor. I attempted to do a parasitic draw test, but not sure I know what I was doing. Grandmas griping about no independence. Really want to get this fixed for her. Right now I have a new dead battery the trickle charger isn’t even helping. So can’t even scan it again. How did it lose power with the neg disconnected? Please help
Interal short in battery likely.. Trickle charger wont help a battery that is gone.might be the alternator drawing it down.
Old July 13th, 2019, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I was hoping it was the alternator, as now 2 good Napa batteries have been drained. At least then I would have an answer. But I took the alternator out and took it down to Napa and Auto Zone for testing. Both said it was good! I tested the diodes, and they are good. Seriously at a loss as where to look next.

Last edited by Pro Tow; July 13th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old July 14th, 2019, 1:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Tow
Yes. I was hoping it was the alternator, as now 2 good Napa batteries have been drained. At least then I would have an answer. But I took the alternator out and took it down to Napa and Auto Zone for testing. Both said it was good! I tested the diodes, and they are good. Seriously at a loss as where to look next.
Something must be draining the battery. Napa batteries are pretty good. I had an issue with battery drain back about 5 years ago. Turns out it was simple and easy fix,
the automatic engine bay light was stuck "on". Always carry a flashlight on my belt, so I didn't really need to fix it. Pulled the bulb and that was that. Likely its more complex with your issue then that.