S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Modify '03 S-10 for more HP and Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2010, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modify '03 S-10 for more HP and Mileage?

Would like practical advice on how I can increase the HP of my 2003 S-10 (2 wheel drive extended cab, AC, LS package), and hopefully improve the gas mileage while I'm at it. Bought this S-10 new in 2003 with 4 cyl and automatic trans after always driving 4- or 5-speed pickups--did it only so my wife could drive it. Have been disgusted with power and acceleration of the 4 cyl paired with the automatic ever since, but I like everything about the truck otherwise and have had almost no repairs, same as my two previous S-10s, so I want to hang onto it. Only have 89K miles on it, and expect to get many more from it like the others.

Without doing anything too extreme, like putting in a bigger motor, is there anything you have personally done to your S-10s to increase the power of the existing 4 Cyl engine? Am not looking for theory, but specific parts you have actually tried, like specific headers, and what it actually did to your performance and gas mileage. Keeping with my wish to not do anything extreme, I don't want to do anything that will affect the vehicle's ability to pass inspection or affect safety/handling. No plans to trick out this truck, just give me enough power to get on the interstate on-ramps without always pissing off the truckers and other fast movers with my slow acceleration.

Thank you!

Dave