S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

tbi to carb 4.3

Old April 7th, 2019, 7:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will check all that out and get back with you, it may be sometime this week my electric fuel pump failed today, thanks
Old April 8th, 2019, 6:27 AM
CF Junior Member

while i am waiting for a pump let me run this by you all and see if any of you have ever heard this before, i had a mechanic tell me that i needed to limit the vacuum to 8-12 for the carb and distributor advance. the guy is an older mechanic and has lots of experience but i wanted to see what the forum thinks, is it possible to have too much vacuum on the distributor, the port off the carb that is right in front of the choke at the very bottom of the carb, there is little to no vacuum there until the throttle has opened some and then it will shoot to 25, i tried running the hose from the distributor to another line that came off the vacuum port on the intake itself but that kills the engine immediately. the truck runs fine and drives fine with the vacuum advance unhooked, so do any of you think that the problem could be too much vacuum on the distributor? thanks
Old April 8th, 2019, 12:22 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

how does it kill the engine? i dont think you can really advance it too much. like i said before i run 16 base timing and the vacuum bumps it up to 32. you cant start the engine with 32° BTDC thats why you need the vacuum advance it lets be start the engine at 16° and once its running i have the vacuum advance hooked to manifold vacuum and it bumps it to 32°

unless you have some other underlining issue the engine should not die. are you hooking it up while the engine is running?
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie2sods
while i am waiting for a pump let me run this by you all and see if any of you have ever heard this before, i had a mechanic tell me that i needed to limit the vacuum to 8-12 for the carb and distributor advance. the guy is an older mechanic and has lots of experience but i wanted to see what the forum thinks, is it possible to have too much vacuum on the distributor, the port off the carb that is right in front of the choke at the very bottom of the carb, there is little to no vacuum there until the throttle has opened some and then it will shoot to 25, i tried running the hose from the distributor to another line that came off the vacuum port on the intake itself but that kills the engine immediately. the truck runs fine and drives fine with the vacuum advance unhooked, so do any of you think that the problem could be too much vacuum on the distributor? thanks
Too much advance could cause the engine to knock. Other then that I see no reason to worry about it. We used to do just that. Bump the timing up until the engine knocked' then back it down until there was no knock. Unless you live in a state that requires you to operate your engine at a lower timing for Nox emissions, I'd run it as high as you can. More power and better gas mileage.
Old April 9th, 2019, 1:23 AM
I'm here for the party

yeah i did leave out the "ping" part of it. but like oil said you normally try to run as much as you can without ping. it wont stop the engine from running
Old April 13th, 2019, 5:26 PM
CF Junior Member

I got the pump got it on and restricted the vacuum from the carb to the advance and now the issue is gone and running good.
Old April 13th, 2019, 6:26 PM
I'm here for the party

how did you restrict the vacuum?
Old April 13th, 2019, 7:30 PM
CF Junior Member

well after two mechanics told me i had to restrict the vacuum i remember that in my bath room was a piece that was used with an air pump for a fish tank, it fit in the line and had a **** on the side that screwed into the fitting. When i saw it i realized that was the answer and sure enough it worked. i have the timing at 12 degrees right now, and every things seems to be working good, all the sensors and computer is gone. I did take the tank out and remove the pump and im sure i will be glad i did. this was quite a job for me but thanks to all those here who contributed it helped a lot, thanks to everyone.
ps and the timing is advancing
Old April 13th, 2019, 8:50 PM
I'm here for the party

i can see why you got rid of the tbi, instead of fixing an issue you make more problems. theres no way the VA is getting too much vacuum, it can apply too much advance but you can adjust that by adjusting your timing. you must have other issues like a vacuum leak. if you dont want to fix whats wrong then thats on you but theres no need to have something rigged up
Old April 14th, 2019, 4:03 PM
CF Junior Member

i dont have a vacuum leak, i have checked everything, two mechanics told me i would have to restrict the vacuum going to the distributor, i questioned that both of them are long time mechanics, but after i did what they said it solved my issues, thats all i know.

Search this Thread