Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   S-10 & Blazer (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/)
-   -   Windshield Wiper Problem 97 S-10 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/windshield-wiper-problem-97-s-10-a-41421/)

Dusty Blaze March 29th, 2011 2:38 PM

Windshield Wiper Problem 97 S-10

The wipers on my S-10 have some problems, most likely with the motor. They sometimes refuses to turn on and other times they refuse to stop. I also have a problem with them not stopping in the off position sometimes, they'll just stop in a random spot in the middle of the windshield.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've heard it's very hard to fix and even more expensive to someone do it for you. Any ideas on a way to fix it? I don't wanna spend a lot and right now I'm unemployed but driving around with unreliable wipers in a state that has lots of rain this time of year is not an option, back in 2009 they went out one day during a rainstorm and came back on just in time for me to swerve out of the way of an oncoming semi.

So yeah.....I'd like to get this fixed.

EinST March 29th, 2011 5:43 PM

Jeez, that sounds dangerous. You know, there was a safety recall 03023 on 1997 S10 among others for the problem with the pulse controller in the motor assembly. See Recall_03023.pdf - Windows Live. If not that, you probably should look into replacing the whole motor assembly.

Dusty Blaze March 29th, 2011 6:08 PM

That seems to be the problem, would I still be able to take it for a dealer and it be covered by this recall? I didn't get the truck till like 2005, the previous owner prolly never got the notice.

Dusty Blaze March 29th, 2011 6:17 PM

Also would this effect the windshield fluid dispenser in anyways? Cause i keep it full and that thing has only worked a few times for me.

EinST March 29th, 2011 6:28 PM

Call the 800 number listed in the recall notice summary with your VIN? As far as the windshield washer pump goes, the pulse controller (P/N 12463090, what they called the "WIPER MOTOR CIRCUIT BOARD") turns it on/off as well.

rose1956 April 2nd, 2011 10:11 AM

rose1956

if you have any knowhow look at the wiper motor there is a plastic cover has three torx screws remove them unplug wiper motor before doing anything at this point gently remove the circut board you see now turn it over where the plug supply goess to board you will see six solder pins sticking up through the board if you look very close you will see cracks around each pin get a solder gun resolder all of those pins look very good get a magnify glass if you need to if you get those six pins soldered good it will fix your problem

Dusty Blaze August 27th, 2013 12:17 PM

Just an update. I took the recall notice and info in to my local dealership, they claim they can't find anything about a recall. I got a hold of customer service and let them have the info, weeks later they call back saying there's nothing at all about a recall. Maybe Chevy just wants to sweep it under the rug? I bet a lawsuit for wrongful death will be the only thing to make them even acknowledge it.

fagsoff July 22nd, 2016 8:00 PM

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php?carcode=1060535&parttype=8865

20 dollars goes a long way homie.
I have the same problem with my s10. But if you can't fix it yourself like previously said, 20 bucks. Seems worth it if it rains that much where you are.

SBchevyfan July 27th, 2016 11:12 AM

Had a similar problem with my 95 S-10. Had replaced the switch on the column and still did not correct it. Turned out to be a vacuum line had deteriorated. Line was located on the driver's side of firewall. Check there first, it's a simple and cheap fix.

SBchevyfan July 27th, 2016 1:35 PM

My memory must be failing me. I fixed my air vents on the same day as my wipers. The vacuum hose will take care of the problem of not being able to change what vents your air comes out. You should check that anyway because it will be in the same area. rose 1956 is correct when going to the wiper motor pulse board/control board. It's a relatively easy repair, can be done in a half hour if you just want to replace it. Dorman part #88136 is available at Advance Auto Parts stores for about $23.00. The control board will fail long before the wiper motor will under normal circumstances.