Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

performance chip?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2008, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance chip?

i was just wandering if there is any performance chip out there that will give me a little more power along with a little better gas mileage for my 1998 silverado 2500
Old April 4th, 2008, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: performance chip?

If u you get on ebay there are chips for 89-99 chevy pickups that promise 20 mpg and add 65 horse power and 60 torque
there only like 15 bucks they are plug and go and its money back if it dont work. it also works with ur trucks computer so it dosent hurt the truck.
Old April 4th, 2008, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

is there a down side to this because it doesnt make much sense to get both better horse power and better fuel mileage
Old April 4th, 2008, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kirotv.com/consumer/2220354/detail.html

You guys and gals might want to read this.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
CF Junior Member

dont waste your money on those foney ebay chips. heck even i could sell you a sticker or something that says it will give you 60 HP. if your gonna get anything, get a hypertech or superchip. before my friend got his new 07 nbs silverado, he had a 98 with the 350 and 410 gears. and after he put his hypertech in he could roast the tires from a stand still as long as he wanted
Old April 5th, 2008, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

You can get more HP and better MPG if you are making the engine more effiecient. like CAI, programmers, exhuast. basically you are making it eat better, digest better, and crapping it out better (sorry for the analogy).
the only problem with a 98 truck is i think hypertech is really the only thing out there other than custom tunes and i believe you will only be able to run 93 octane.

the hypertechs for my 06 suck power wise on 87 octane but i refuse to pay for 93 and only get 18-20hp out of it. if i want 93 octane im going with a blower, they gave me a little better mpg but not much.my friend had a hypertech chip on his 99 350 and it was a fairly noticable difference.

id suggest a K&N CAI, flowmaster exhaust and all synthetic fluids. might get you another 1-2mpg. get the chip if you dont mind running 93.

i wish you luck on your quest and decision.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

I've actually heard rumors that you can get those same 15$ chips at radio shack for 10 cents..lol. Your gonna have to spend more than a hundred or so for computer reprograming. Superchip would be my recomendation.
Old April 25th, 2008, 4:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys...you don't 'chip' a 98....you flash it.
Basically...the acr's computer is like windows on your PC.
You get a copy of the tune (which is a bunch of files) and you alter what you want and then you 'save' (download) it to the PCM (computer).
All the basic, handheld programmers do is...as far as I know...allow you to alter timing (factory timing is very conservative) and remove torque managemant and abuse mode.
Best way is via a reputable tuner and a dyno tune. This however is alot more expensive.
Old January 6th, 2018, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

I must agree with you - there seems to be a ton of garbage out there claiming to be a 'performance chip', most of which are just a resistor or, in some cases, nothing at all but a blank circuit board. I have a '15 Chevy Silverado 1500 and was looking to get a little more 'pep' from it. Gas mileage isn't terrible, so I didnt care about that as much as the pickup.
I ordered a few 'chips' from ebay, from different brands and sellers and tried them out one by one. I also looked inside first to be sure I wasnt going to harm the engine.
Of several I tried, only one showed some noticeable improvement:
BEST: ST7PRO Xtreme Stage 3 OBD GAS / DIESEL Performance Chip Programmer +45HP

I noticed better shifting immediately, and more pickup over a few fill-ups.
I found one that worked for me, but I could be the exception to the rule...
Old July 15th, 2018, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

I bought a performance chip for my silverado from powertune on amazon it's ok. Nothing crazy but definitely an increase in power. The company site has videos and reviews of people testing it and doing 0-60 with and without it the chip. If you want a little boost I'd recommend it but don't expect anything crazy. powertune performance chip review

Quick Reply: performance chip?