Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Speaker whine and buzz Bose system???

Old January 4th, 2011, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker whine and buzz Bose system???

2003 suburban

When you open the doors or hit a bump [sometimes when you're starting up with the radio off] the right side radio speakers will begin to whine and buzz. It sounds kinda like it's the warning system. The volume control does not raise or lower the loudness of the noise until you reach the "all the way off" position but the whine is definitely speed sensitive; not the buzz. Also the fader and the balance have no effect on the sound.

Where do I start to troubleshoot this??>???>?????>???
Old January 5th, 2011, 7:24 AM
CF Junior Member

I just bought a used 2005 and mine does it as well. ( whine - not buzz) Only fron the Rh side and I think only from the passenger door speaker and not the rear, but I have to double check. Changes in direct relation to the RPMs. Unfortunately I don't have a answer for you as I am trying to figure it out too but maybe some of the more experienced folks on here will be able to help us out. If I make any progress I'll let you know.
Old January 5th, 2011, 9:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome both of you to the forum...
I would suspect a loose ground somewhere in the audio system...
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Or some power line filtering circuitry that's failed on one channel.
Old January 6th, 2011, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. Won't get to look at mine until the wknd. Was thinking of disconnecting that frt pass dr speaker and see if I still hear it. I'm trying to isolate the problem as much as possible. Is there any trick to to getting to that speaker or can I just pop that grill out of the door and get to it that way?

I am also missing the tweeter in the passenger pillar post if anyone knows where I can get one or of an aftermarket replacement that will fit correctly.

Randy - don't mean to hijack your thread. I can start my own on this if you like. Just was posting in here because we had the same problem.

Tom
Old January 6th, 2011, 9:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Imposter71
Randy - don't mean to hijack your thread. I can start my own on this if you like. Just was posting in here because we had the same problem.

Tom
Nope, keeping it to one relevant post is the best way... you found this one by searching so as information collects on this tread others will be able to learn and add to it..
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a used 2005 and mine does it as well. ( whine - not buzz) Only fron the Rh side and I think only from the passenger door speaker and not the rear, but I have to double check. Changes in direct relation to the RPMs. Unfortunately I don't have a answer for you as I am trying to figure it out too but maybe some of the more experienced folks on here will be able to help us out. If I make any progress I'll let you know.
In my Tahoe I get a slight clicking sound only when I listen to talk radio. Any other time, CD, XM, FM music I don't get it. I figured it was just the station or the AM frequency. Like in2pro said, probably a loose ground somewhere. Makes me wonder how quickly and carefully they installed the Bose systems.
Old January 6th, 2011, 2:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lando LTZ
Makes me wonder how quickly and carefully they installed the Bose systems.
Quality is important to GM, but like any mass made product mistakes can and do happen, and the environment the product is used in can impact reliability...
If they build things to last forever a lot of use would be out of a jobs...and if they built them to last a long time the cost would trickle (avalanche) down to us buyers...its a balancing act by any manufacture for sure....
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I am also missing the tweeter in the passenger pillar post if anyone knows where I can get one or of an aftermarket replacement that will fit correctly.

Crutchfield can give you what will fit in there.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Imposter,
Join in. It sounds like we have similar problems. I just made a four hour trip and could listen to my radio for only five minutes before the sounds began and they don't always start simultaneously. Sometimes the right rear starts first with no buzz, then the front kicks in [it's hideous and loud...louder than the radio]. I just don't know where to start the search for the culprit.
randy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker whine and buzz Bose system???