Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

fuel guage intermittent - has anybody else had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 1:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel guage intermittent - has anybody else had this problem?

In my 2007 equinox the fuel guage has been doign wierd things lately. it is going higher than normal, to where then the tank is full it shows to be about 200% full, and when its near empty it swings down to about the 3/4 tank mark . Luckily, the range indicator is not affected, so when the guage is acting up, were depending on the range to decide how much gas is still in the tank. most of the time the guage appears fine, but then its having its bad days.

Im assuming its having voltage problems. Im guessing first hand that the tank might have a metal strap holding the tank in that is its ground, and needs cleaning. Otherwise, im suspecting somewhere along the wire harness that brings the lead from the tank to the dash a connection needs to be reseated. If not then what else could it be? I want to fix it.

has anybody has an issue with their fuel guage? theres almost 140k on the car now for comparison.
Old February 18th, 2012, 8:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd guess you have a bad fuel sending unit. The Equinox uses two of them due to the saddle shape of the fuel tank (it straddles the rear differential - FWD models use a similar fuel tank fuel tank). the average between the two is what's displayed on the gauge.
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
CF Junior Member

anybody else have any suspicions? i was hoping to collect a consensus, because i dont want to pull the tank for sure unless i have to. Or is there access under rear seat?

i dont have the manual yet. guess its special order.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
CF Junior Member

well the fuel guage is still at it, and we recently had the power assist go out for 2-3 months to where only i would drive it, and i wouldnt let my wife drive it since the steering was too hard for her. A year earlier after used purchase we had it in the dealer (Rancho Motors, Victorville) where they said they "readjusted" it. They should have replaced it.

Now i notice the outdoor temp sensor appears off where it said 59 Deg. one morning, then after we went to town and the sun was out in full on return a couple hours later it still said 59 Deg. So it appears something is not right in either the computer, some connection(since the outdoor temp was working, and just wrong i dont think that was a connection) and we were having problems with out steering assist, i would guess these problems tie together.

is there anybody here that has experienced these problems or has any suggestions?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Yes. I have an 07 Equinox with 37 thousand miles. My fuel gauge bounces all over. I have had it in 2x had both sensors replaced and it is still doing the same thing. I am so frustrated that I am ready to just give up, but on the other hand, expecting to have a working gauge doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Help!
Old October 24th, 2012, 8:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ksmith451,

The fuel pump may need to be replaced. When was the last time the vehicle was in service for this issue? I would be happy to look into this further for you if you PM me your information.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 24th, 2012, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

My 07 has been having fuel gauge problems for about six months now, jumping all over the place. Now the temp gauge is acting up as well. Is this a cluster or connection problem? Its driving me crazy!! Could it possible be a fuse problem?
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Walker
My 07 has been having fuel gauge problems for about six months now, jumping all over the place. Now the temp gauge is acting up as well. Is this a cluster or connection problem? Its driving me crazy!! Could it possible be a fuse problem?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Daniel Walker,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into this further for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:12 AM
CF Junior Member

does anybody find it odd that everyone but myself, the one who posted the message in teh first place, have been responded to by a dealer? what, is all reply emails pertaining to "impoprtant" issues going to an automatic inbox in chevy-india?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox and I was having problems with the temperature gauge and then the speedometer. Took it to dealer and it was the insturment cluster. Made a complaint to GM and they said that they haven't seen this problem very much. I beg all of you to complain! If you do, they may issue a recall. They did with the trailblazers and trucks in 2006.

Quick Reply: fuel guage intermittent - has anybody else had this problem?