Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Turn Signal Clicking Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2012, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Clicking Problem

I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.7 liter. After I changed lanes with my turn signal, the relay kept going internmittantly but no lights. This is still an intermitant ongoing thing now. The turn signals work fine both left and right and the hazerd lights work fine. The ongoing clicking is very annoying. When I push the brakes it stops most of the time, and it may machine gun (the relay). When I let off the brakes it continues with the clicking. When I pulled the turn signal fuse the clicking stops. I have replaced the relay to no avail.

Can some one help me out on what the problem could be??

Thanks in advance.
Old March 30th, 2012, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

I found it some where, could solve your problem.

Follow a fast guidelines to fix the issue and have your truck working again.

how you can fix a flip sign relay in a chevy silverado

1. Start the automotive in order that when testing the lights you will not run down your battery. Have a pal make it easier to test the lights. You sit in the automobile and function the lights having them let you know which lights turn on and which turn off. Test the turn alerts one after the other after which test the hazard lights. Be sure that your pal appears to be like for the lights when you’ll be able to hear the lights operating at a slower or faster speed.

2. Examine every of the flip signal gentle bulbs, especially the bulbs that you simply found not working. Most frequently, a bulb that burns out triggers an issue with the turn sign relay.

3. Exchange any burned out bulbs and retest the lights. In the perfect state of affairs, it will repair your downside with the flip signals. If not, transfer on to checking the fuses for the flip signals and hazard lights. The fuses for these are located on the driving force’s facet of the cab on the left facet of the steering wheel. They should be in a fuse field mounted to the outside wall of the cab.

4. Open the fuse box and using the diagram on the underside of the lid, examine the fuses that have something to do with turn signal lights or hazard lights. If all these fuses check out, then the issue is almost definitely the flasher unit or the multi-switch on the steering column.

5. Look above the fuse field below the left side of the dash to find the flasher unit. The flasher is a square unit that looks like a relay. It is going to have its personal receptacle mounted individually from the fuse box. Take away the flasher and check its operation. You’ll have to take this to the auto components retailer to test. Whether it is dangerous, replace the flasher. Re-examine the operation of your turn signals. If this doesn’t fix the issue, then you have to to replace the multi-change, or turn sign change, on the steering column.

6. Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel elimination tool and then remove the plastic protecting that houses the switch. Fastidiously take away the swap and substitute with a brand new one. Be careful to reconnect all the wires to the same positions on the brand new switch. Reassemble the coverings and remount the steering wheel. Retest your flip signal lights.
Old March 30th, 2012, 3:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No sh*t, you got a picture of this "steering wheel elimination tool" or whatever? Dude, you must be the only white guy in Indonesia who only writes in Indonesian (not that I've anything against the people nor their language).
Old March 30th, 2012, 7:22 PM
CF Veteran

so you're saying theres no lights flashing but the clicking stays constant? Kind of makes me lean towards hazard circuits since it stops when you hit the brake but I'll have to think/dig into it a bit
Old March 30th, 2012, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah the turn signal clicking noise is constant and doesn't stop. I'll check the circuits to see if thats it.
Old April 16th, 2012, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Turn Signal Clicking Problem

cleveland63b I have the same problem with my 99 Chevy as Dave90 has.
The clicking is constant as soon as you turn on the ignition. And when I hit the brakes it stops. I believe it has to do with the hazard lights but can not find the problem. Can you help with this?
Thanks
Old April 16th, 2012, 1:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know if you have a bad bulb it clicks fast on some but not.like a crazy sounds like a short its hard to tell with a short not being there best to back trace from bulb
Old April 16th, 2012, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a doo doo multifunction switch.

use that steering wheel elimination tool after you loosen the battery polarity devices and then extract the operator side inflatable safety system. then unscrew the plastic steering wheel retention support and disengage the multifunction switch.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
sounds like a doo doo multifunction switch.

use that steering wheel elimination tool after you loosen the battery polarity devices and then extract the operator side inflatable safety system. then unscrew the plastic steering wheel retention support and disengage the multifunction switch.
Thats funny right there
Old July 10th, 2012, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar problem on a 2001 Malibu. All lamps and bulbs are good and operate normal. A relay is clicking erratically; the rate and speed constantly change. Normally when a bulb is burned out the relay will click in a constant rapid pattern. This situation it can be slow fast and varies. After several minutes of driving it usually slows to just an intermittent click. But once the turn signal is used it will start fast slow fast erratic all over again.

I had a shop replace the flasher or turn signal relay and that did not resolve the problem.

Any insight to solve this is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Clicking Problem