Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

DLIS fuse

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2013, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLIS fuse

Does anyone know what the DLIS fuse circuit on a 2012 Chevy Sonic controls?
The owner's manual says it must be removed while RV towing to prevent battery drain.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JimBrzytwa,

When you turn the key and put the ignition in the accessory position, it can drain the battery over time. Removing the DLIS fuse, when towing, removes the power to the BCM causing the ignition relay to open which stops the battery from going dead.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you

Louis,

Thanks for responding to the above question and explaining the DLIS.

When I first towed My 2013 Sonic LTZ, I followed the manual instructions.

Removed the DLIS, placed key in ACC mode, which kept the dash lights on etc.
However, in the ACC Mode, mileage accrued on the Sonic.

The next trip I put the key in ACC mode where the dash lights came on; then I turned the key back one notch. The dash lights went out. The key was not in a locked mode. This time the Sonic did not accrue mileage during towing.

Again, thank you for any information and guidance regarding towing and the DLIS fuse.

I am considering installing an inline fuse switch for the DLIS. Then when towig, I would not have to remove the DLIS fuse, but turn off the switch.

a. Is there a problem doing for the DLIS to work off an inline fuse switch?

b. When stopping during the towing period, is it necessary to install the DLIS fuse when running the engine during trip stops?

I run the Sonic before towing, then during fuel stops, and never go over 60 mph.

After 4,400 miles the Sonic has been a sweet towing little car. I have towed the Sonic about 500 miles so far, the rest is driving miles, and it's a nice subcompact vehicle.

Starting in April the Sonic is going to get about 2500 towing miles over a 2 month period.
Old February 26th, 2013, 2:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RV Volunteers
Louis,

Thanks for responding to the above question and explaining the DLIS.

When I first towed My 2013 Sonic LTZ, I followed the manual instructions.

Removed the DLIS, placed key in ACC mode, which kept the dash lights on etc.
However, in the ACC Mode, mileage accrued on the Sonic.

The next trip I put the key in ACC mode where the dash lights came on; then I turned the key back one notch. The dash lights went out. The key was not in a locked mode. This time the Sonic did not accrue mileage during towing.

Again, thank you for any information and guidance regarding towing and the DLIS fuse.

I am considering installing an inline fuse switch for the DLIS. Then when towig, I would not have to remove the DLIS fuse, but turn off the switch.

a. Is there a problem doing for the DLIS to work off an inline fuse switch?

b. When stopping during the towing period, is it necessary to install the DLIS fuse when running the engine during trip stops?

I run the Sonic before towing, then during fuel stops, and never go over 60 mph.

After 4,400 miles the Sonic has been a sweet towing little car. I have towed the Sonic about 500 miles so far, the rest is driving miles, and it's a nice subcompact vehicle.

Starting in April the Sonic is going to get about 2500 towing miles over a 2 month period.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> RV Volunteers,

I am happy you are enjoying your Sonic vehicle. In regards to your questions, yes, I would suggest installing the fuse before running the engine.

As for the inline fuse switch, I’m sorry, but I cannot comment on vehicle modifications.

Enjoy your future trip!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 23rd, 2017, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

You wouldn't even have to ask this question if the dinghy towing instructions in the owners' manual were complete. On my 2016 Sonic, removing the DLIS fuse allows you to leave the gearshift in neutral and turn your ignition switch completely off and remove the key. I don't know about other model years, but the 2016 Sonic has no steering wheel lock.
Old July 21st, 2018, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dlis

What does the acronym DLIS stand for? What does the DLIS fuse turn off if pulled (required for flat towing Sonic to prevent battery rundown)? It says here that it shuts down BCM but several BCM functions like door locks, power windows & mirrors, etc. continue to work when it's pulled. Can't figure out what really gets turned off to prevent battery rundown. What should I notice does not operate when the fuse is pulled?
Old July 21st, 2018, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Badger100
What does the acronym DLIS stand for? What does the DLIS fuse turn off if pulled (required for flat towing Sonic to prevent battery rundown)? It says here that it shuts down BCM but several BCM functions like door locks, power windows & mirrors, etc. continue to work when it's pulled. Can't figure out what really gets turned off to prevent battery rundown. What should I notice does not operate when the fuse is pulled?
It's one on GM's major proprietary secrets. I found it once; it was something like Digital Logic Interlock System. As you can see in my post above yours it allows you to defeat the Park/Key Removal Interlock so you don't have to leave your key in/on to drain your battery while it is being towed. The "BCM" standard phase is just that. As far as I know you can't start the car if the BCM is not powered.
Old July 21st, 2018, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tfryman
It's one on GM's major proprietary secrets. I found it once; it was something like Digital Logic Interlock System. As you can see in my post above yours it allows you to defeat the Park/Key Removal Interlock so you don't have to leave your key in/on to drain your battery while it is being towed. The "BCM" standard phase is just that. As far as I know you can't start the car if the BCM is not powered.
Thanks -- your version of what it stands for beats everything I've seen. So why do they say to leave the ignition in the Accessory position? (Option #1) Something is damaged if you tow with the ignition OFF. (Option #2) To have mileage accumulate on the odo (as mentioned above) so you don't misrepresent the vehicle's mileage. (Option #3) In case you want to use the 12V socket to power a braking system (I checked, and with the ignition in ACC, the power stays on at the 12V socket when you open the door, but it will cut power to the socket if the ignition is off -- but you can overcome that if you have an auxiliary 12V socket connected to the battery like I do). I'm guessing #2, but am a bit concerned it could be #1. But it sounds like it's worked fine for you in the OFF position. P.S. Our Sonic is also a 2016.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Badger100
Thanks -- your version of what it stands for beats everything I've seen. So why do they say to leave the ignition in the Accessory position? (Option #1) Something is damaged if you tow with the ignition OFF. (Option #2) To have mileage accumulate on the odo (as mentioned above) so you don't misrepresent the vehicle's mileage. (Option #3) In case you want to use the 12V socket to power a braking system (I checked, and with the ignition in ACC, the power stays on at the 12V socket when you open the door, but it will cut power to the socket if the ignition is off -- but you can overcome that if you have an auxiliary 12V socket connected to the battery like I do). I'm guessing #2, but am a bit concerned it could be #1. But it sounds like it's worked fine for you in the OFF position. P.S. Our Sonic is also a 2016.
If you look at the fuse block in the manual you can see that fuses 6 through 13 all go to the BCM so why would they say fuse #1 goes to the BCM when it is marked DLIS? I have towed my Sonic over 6000 miles with no ill effects using my procedure. If you don't pull the DLIS fuse you can't turn the key off if the transmission is not in Park. With the key off, you can't run down the battery and you won't accrue towing miles. In fact, I have left my DLIS fuse out since pulling it the first time and have driver over 30,000 miles with it that way.. All it does is defeat some interlocks as far as I can tell. I suspect with the DLIS fuse pulled and the key in ACC the radio and other ACC items will deenergize as if you have turned the key off and pulled it but not opened the doors after about 10 or 20 minutes (whatever the delay is). That would include the 12 V power socket if you are relying on it to power a braking system.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Supposition confirmed. While I was out mowing the yard I turned my Sonic's key to ACC. Everything turned off after the standard time out.

Quick Reply: DLIS fuse