Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Problem with sliding door!!!

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with sliding door!!!

I have an Express AWD 2010 and I did put a 6" lift kit on it. Whit this, I was able to put 33" tires and my sliding door is not able to open. I revoved the Inside panel and now it open little bit but it rubbing on the tire. I need about 1" but when I put fender flare, I will need about 2". I dont know how to modify the bracket because there is an arm that goes Inside of the door. Can you guys help me with this?? Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2014, 6:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you get offset rims to recess the tires into the wheel well more? I am not sure if what you are asking is possible.....unless you get crazy on modding it yourself.
Old January 24th, 2014, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Can you get offset rims to recess the tires into the wheel well more? I am not sure if what you are asking is possible.....unless you get crazy on modding it yourself.

The van have now 33 inches tire so I cant change the rim. I just want to know if someone already did something with this problem. Thanks
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those tires don't look that much wider than the stock 245's. What is the tire size. To me the aftermarket rims have the wrong offset and push the tires out too far. Look at the fronts.....wow, they are at least 1/3rd exposed. I would take the van back to where you got the rims and have that looked at. Before you spend thousands on a door fix that is...
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking its going to be a whole lot easier and cheaper, to change out rims then to mod the sliding door....
You could look into have the sliding doors modified to be like a rear hatch and swing upwards,( think gull wing) however forget about opening them in a parking lot with with anyone parks close to you...Or you could also consider having the side door modified to be 2 swing open doors similar to what you have on the rear... OR modifying the door so that it opens like the storage hatches on the sides of buses
But in the end, changing rims is the simplest....
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

The Sliding door has the upper and lower roller brackets as well as the center roller. All three are removable, and could possibly be extended an inch or so to clear your tires,

From the look of mine, just extending the center roller could do what you need with the rear of the door pushing out farther than the front (thusly not changing the upper and lower rollers.)

I have attached a pic of the center roller unfolding and unfolded, the orher thought is to simply shim the center roller track itself out the half inch or so needed maybe? How much more clearance do you really need?

From what I read, the upper and lower rollers have some room to be adjusted up/down and in/out to get the door squarely shut, that may help too.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with sliding door!!!-latch1.jpg   Problem with sliding door!!!-latch2.jpg  
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, thinking here..

If you look at the center roller when unfolded, there is a center stop bar, bend that toward the door and the rear of the door is further from the van (more clearance) but door will still close the same. What if you lengthened or modded or for that matter removed that center bar.. you whould gain alot of clearance from the back of the door (where you need it most!)

You could easily pick up a replacement roller to play with and mod in case you have problems.

Good Luck!
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rdw123
Ok, thinking here..

If you look at the center roller when unfolded, there is a center stop bar, bend that toward the door and the rear of the door is further from the van (more clearance) but door will still close the same. What if you lengthened or modded or for that matter removed that center bar.. you whould gain alot of clearance from the back of the door (where you need it most!)

You could easily pick up a replacement roller to play with and mod in case you have problems.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your information RDW123, I think that you have find my answer!!

I will make longer arm on the pin!!

I dont want to change the rim because I spend a lots of money for those mags and they are low offset but with my new tire 285-70-17, smaller mags will not make the job.

Thanks again!!! Mike
Old March 8th, 2014, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

being higher you need the wider tire/wheel to keep from tipping easy. I think the older late 70's vans had a short and a longer door arm depending on the model. if you find one you might be able to just switch it for the longer one
Old March 10th, 2014, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by j_gallagher
being higher you need the wider tire/wheel to keep from tipping easy. I think the older late 70's vans had a short and a longer door arm depending on the model. if you find one you might be able to just switch it for the longer one

Hi, I did look but they are not the same. Thanks
Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with sliding door!!!