Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Old March 7th, 2014, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermostat problems (P0597)

My check engine light came on recently and I found out that it was code P0597 which is Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open. The dealer said to bring it in but since I have around 43,000 miles I will have to pay for the diagnostic test if it is not covered by my power train or emissions warranty. I don't think I should have to pay for them to test to see what the problem is.( since I already know the code)I have read online that many other Sonic and Cruze owners are having issues with their thermostats. I will post later today the results of what the dealer finds, and if they say it's covered or not. In my opinion it should be covered under either the power train or emissions warranty since it is linked to both
The following users liked this post:
schuchert (March 14th, 2020)
Old March 7th, 2014, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

the code gives you a diagnosis starting point. It doesn't tell you which part is bad. The only thing that can do that is a crystal ball.

If your paying, you can always tell them what you want replaced, they will do just that...just don't be wrong.

Last edited by tech2; March 7th, 2014 at 9:59 PM.
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic P0597 code

We bought my college age daughter a 2012 Sonic to go back and forth to school. She also now has the P0597 code. Her check engine light goes on occasionally and then goes off after a few days she says. We had it checked at the local shop and they said it was a Thermostat heater control unit. They also recommended I take it to the dealer since it might be covered by the powertrain warranty. My daughter has 56,000 miles on the car now. Dealer has said it is not covered by the warranty. What was the results of your problem? Was it the thermostat? Seems a shame they wont cover this. This is the second problem we've run into that was not covered. She had to have the breather hose replaced because it was cracked almost in half. The dealer told her he had seen it a few times but that she was passed the warranty so it cost her over a $100 to have it replaced.
Old July 31st, 2014, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

It was the thermostat. Dealer fixed it for no charge. Good luck
Old July 31st, 2014, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

the code gives you a diagnosis starting point. It doesn't tell you which part is bad. The only thing that can do that is a crystal

The code was pretty right on. It was the thermostat just as the code indicated
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rclksr
We bought my college age daughter a 2012 Sonic to go back and forth to school. She also now has the P0597 code. Her check engine light goes on occasionally and then goes off after a few days she says. We had it checked at the local shop and they said it was a Thermostat heater control unit. They also recommended I take it to the dealer since it might be covered by the powertrain warranty. My daughter has 56,000 miles on the car now. Dealer has said it is not covered by the warranty. What was the results of your problem? Was it the thermostat? Seems a shame they wont cover this. This is the second problem we've run into that was not covered. She had to have the breather hose replaced because it was cracked almost in half. The dealer told her he had seen it a few times but that she was passed the warranty so it cost her over a $100 to have it replaced.
Sorry to hear about your daughter's Sonic, rclksr. If you'd like to PM us her VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership we can explore some additional options on her behalf.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 1st, 2014, 7:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffro80
the code gives you a diagnosis starting point. It doesn't tell you which part is bad. The only thing that can do that is a crystal

The code was pretty right on. It was the thermostat just as the code indicated
read through a diagnostic test procedure and you will know what i'm talking about. You really don't want the guy repairing your car to use the shot gun diagnostic approach. This forum has many posts of people replacing long lists of parts.

Last edited by tech2; August 1st, 2014 at 7:14 AM.
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rclksr
I'm having the same problem now I am a college student as well! How much are the repairs for the Thermostat heater control unit?
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem! I took my 2012 Sonic to my mechanic because the check engine light is on. 6 error codes pop up all relating to the thermostat. The car is running too cold, the thermostat is staying open etc., etc...The car is too new to be having these types of problems. It is at the dealer now because I think that is has to be some kind of issue that needs a recall.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Had P0597 pop up on my wifes car yesterday, called the dealership this morning, they wouldn't tell me the cost to replace the thermostat. UGH!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)