Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Captiva electrical issues

So I will be calling the GM garage Monday but I thought I'd see if anyone else has had these issues.

I have a 2012 Captiva LTZ.

The radio (local not satellite) cuts out and the display goes blank except for clock. A few times it has said "device not supported" but nothing is plugged in to stereo.

Today I also heard static from the speakers not like a weak station hiss but more like an electrical static and the headlights dimmed. Also as I was driving down the road on dry pavement in a straight line, the chime went off and the traction control maintenance light illuminated once then the parking brake maintenance light illuminated then went out.

Thanks
The following 3 users liked this post by djacob62:
benbr176 (December 15th, 2020), dicus30 (September 12th, 2020), tstellwarren67 (December 1st, 2019)
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello djacob62,

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you are experiencing with your vehicle. We'd be happy to document your concerns in our system, please send us a private message with your VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 19th, 2014, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio powers off

Hi djacob, I was wondering what GM said about your issue? Mine is somewhat similar, in that the radio goes out, powers it self off essentially, then my parking brake service light comes on, then it goes back to normal.
Old May 20th, 2014, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aivani79
Hi djacob, I was wondering what GM said about your issue? Mine is somewhat similar, in that the radio goes out, powers it self off essentially, then my parking brake service light comes on, then it goes back to normal.
I got my Captiva back yesterday.
They ran diagnostics and got several codes, all pointing at excessive voltage drops. So they checked the battery cables and found the positive cable defective. Also, I bought the car used last November and the dealership I got it at had replaced the battery. GM garage said battery was well below specifications (like cold cranks amps, etc).
My extended warranty covered cable replacement. Since positive and negative are joined in a harness, they had to replace both. It was the negative cable that was hard to get too and they needed to remove either starter or alternator and a portion of the exhaust. Battery was not covered, it cost me $175 to replace.
I also told them my aux power port under the cup holder didn't work - turned out to be one of two fuses (I only checked one).
So in all, I paid $370 and warranty covered $275 (I have $100 deductible on warranty). In all it was a $600+ job.
So those voltage drops were to blame for communications problems with electronics and computer. I also noticed hesitations when driving and accelerating.
Since these rigs don't have a throttle cable - electronic communications from gas peddle, it affected performance. Electronic throttle control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So far it is running better and have had no more problems.
My Chevy has 45K miles on it already which is why I have the 3rd party extended warranty but they had no problem paying parts and labor on cables.
The following users liked this post:
dicus30 (September 12th, 2020)
Old July 17th, 2014, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello djacob62,

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you are experiencing with your vehicle. We'd be happy to document your concerns in our system, please send us a private message with your VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi I have been having the same problem, clearly it's an electric issue everything in the car just shuts off and then turns back on, some days every time I use the blinker it happens, but when it happened yesterday my radio never came back on. And also I almost got stranded in a parking lot yesterday, when I went to turn my car on the key locked up inside and wouldn't come out, wouldn't turn or anything then the seats would work, which they always work even if the cars not on, I played with the seat for a minute trying to get it to work and then it randomly started working and the key unlocked and everything was fine. But now my check engine light is on and it won't go away. This sounds like a factory defect, can y'all fix it?

Thanks.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Lynn. That is verbatim what has been happening with my Captiva. I called GM customer service and expressed concerns that other owners were experiencing the same problems yet there was no recall. Also, if during these power shortages, whether or not my airbags would deploy since the whole dash panel seemed to fail. GM offered to cover the cost of the diagnostic being performed at an authorized dealer. We are here now, waiting for the results. Good luck to you!
Old August 4th, 2014, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry 2012 Chevy Captiva Electrical issues

I too had many problems with my Captiva. I bought it used in January and have had problems ever since. My radio power would cut off and then power on, and my "service emergency brake" and my Service traction control alert would go on and off at all different times. The first time I brought the car in I printed out this forum to show the techs and they said it was not the battery cables, and unless it did it for them they can't do anything. So they sent it back out of the garage. I brought it back with cell phone pictures in hand of the alarms going off and of course now they took me seriously. The car has been in the shop since last Tuesday and because I went up to the shop today to find out what was going on I was told that it was the battery cables and they didn't have them on hand so they are ordered. Apparently techs don't like to be told what the customers believes to be wrong the car and require actual proof of what is going in before taking the customer serious.
Old August 6th, 2014, 4:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jmmasullo
I too had many problems with my Captiva. I bought it used in January and have had problems ever since. My radio power would cut off and then power on, and my "service emergency brake" and my Service traction control alert would go on and off at all different times. The first time I brought the car in I printed out this forum to show the techs and they said it was not the battery cables, and unless it did it for them they can't do anything. So they sent it back out of the garage. I brought it back with cell phone pictures in hand of the alarms going off and of course now they took me seriously. The car has been in the shop since last Tuesday and because I went up to the shop today to find out what was going on I was told that it was the battery cables and they didn't have them on hand so they are ordered. Apparently techs don't like to be told what the customers believes to be wrong the car and require actual proof of what is going in before taking the customer serious.
Hi jmmasullo, Were they able to move forward and complete the repairs? We know it can be difficult trying to explain your vehicle concerns with the service center and we hope your concerns were resolved. If there's anything we can do to offer our assistance, we're happy to help. We can be reached through private message if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio issues with Captiva now too

I also have my radio going off and on with error messages about "cannot connect to USB..." when I have nothing connected to the USB port at all. Sometimes it goes in and out for days and then it is fine for a few weeks. Very aggravating!!!
Old August 14th, 2014, 1:50 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by dbackssss
I also have my radio going off and on with error messages about "cannot connect to USB..." when I have nothing connected to the USB port at all. Sometimes it goes in and out for days and then it is fine for a few weeks. Very aggravating!!!
Is there anything we can look into for you, dbackssss? We understand this is a bit peculiar and we'll gladly do some additional research on our end to try and find answers for you. Please private message us your VIN and mileage if we can further investigate this matter.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues