Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

06 Equinox with overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2015, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Equinox with overheating issues

I have a 2006 Equinox LT 139k miles I have had no heat and took it to a mechanic who replaced the intake manifold gasket. That did not work. I checked other forums and it seems like the Equinox has problems with the heater core. I have the same symptoms as mentioned in those threads. Smell antifreeze no heat, sounds like water running. I used copper sealant to hopefully correct the issue. However, now I have developed a bad leak under the driver side of the car. It runs hot while idling, took it to a mechanic who said it was a head gasket. Another mechanic told me that he has worked on equinoxes and he has never replaced a head gasket on one yet. Has anyone had this problem, can't afford to dump a lot of money into this car, and it is the only one we have
Old January 13th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Quite a few people on here have said that they needed the head gasket(s) replaced. However, I've never seen an Equinox first-hand that had this issue. I'm convinced that lack of maintenance (e.g. not changing coolant, bad coolant lid, etc.) is a big factor in these major failures.

The intake gaskets in the 3400 in the Equinox/Torrent use a different design and are not failure prone unlike the other common 3400 used in numerous other GM models (e.g. Impala, Grand Am, Alero) so I'd question why the shop replaced them unless a leak was observed.

Assuming your Equinox was built in 2005, the coolant should've been changed nearly 5 years ago already. The lid on the reservoir should've also been tested and replaced if it wasn't holding pressure. The lid is cheap enough that I'd even suggest replacing it whenever the coolant is changed. As a matter of fact, that might be your issue. That's the only coolant leak that could come from the driver's side. If the cap is bad, it won't hold pressure. This means the coolant will boil within the cooling system; creating air bubbles and coolant will boil out through the overflow hose just under the cap. Air in the system can cause no heat because there's no coolant flowing through the heater core.

I'd replace the cap, bleed the cooling system, and see where you stand. I'm willing to bet the shop overlooked this.
Old March 13th, 2015, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BadKarma6
I have a 2006 Equinox LT 139k miles I have had no heat and took it to a mechanic who replaced the intake manifold gasket. That did not work. I checked other forums and it seems like the Equinox has problems with the heater core. I have the same symptoms as mentioned in those threads. Smell antifreeze no heat, sounds like water running. I used copper sealant to hopefully correct the issue. However, now I have developed a bad leak under the driver side of the car. It runs hot while idling, took it to a mechanic who said it was a head gasket. Another mechanic told me that he has worked on equinoxes and he has never replaced a head gasket on one yet. Has anyone had this problem, can't afford to dump a lot of money into this car, and it is the only one we have
Question for badkarma6. Did you get your problem with your equinox fixed? I'm curious because my wife's has been doing the same thing. The mechanic said it is probably a head gasket but I don't want to spend the money on it unless I'm sure. Thanks
Old March 14th, 2015, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Yes it was the head gasket, however i still believe i have a heater core issue. Smell antifreeze when car is on defrost, inside windows will not defrost, and stick residue on windows, but there is no wet spot on passenger side floor. Planning on getting this checked after i pay for the 1800 dollar head gasket issue
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BadKarma6
Yes it was the head gasket, however i still believe i have a heater core issue. Smell antifreeze when car is on defrost, inside windows will not defrost, and stick residue on windows, but there is no wet spot on passenger side floor. Planning on getting this checked after i pay for the 1800 dollar head gasket issue
Did you ever find out if your heater core was an issue? I just had my head gaskets replaced a couple months ago and my car is overheating again. I hear water sloshing somewhere in my dash but not leaking inside my car. I am thinking my heater core is stopped up.
Old March 1st, 2016, 9:03 PM
CF Veteran

sloshing is a sign that the cooling system isn't completely full, top it off and check for leaks
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Brenda Le Cunningham Sellers
Did you ever find out if your heater core was an issue? I just had my head gaskets replaced a couple months ago and my car is overheating again. I hear water sloshing somewhere in my dash but not leaking inside my car. I am thinking my heater core is stopped up.
Hello Brenda,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing this sloshing noise in your vehicle. Have you brought this concern to your dealership for assistance? If not, we’d be more than happy to help get you connected. If interested, please don’t hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealer.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 3rd, 2016, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
sloshing is a sign that the cooling system isn't completely full, top it off and check for leaks
Yes we have topped off cooling system and can't find any leaks. Although I noticed some water in my passenger floor board today. I can't afford to take my car to the dealer. They are a ripoff. I have read up and this year model seems to have the same issues for everyone. A shame chevy won't do something. I have now dumped 1700 into this car. Besides if it was cooling system why am I hearing the water like it's in the dash?

Last edited by Brenda Le Cunningham Sellers; March 3rd, 2016 at 2:25 PM. Reason: add a question
Old March 3rd, 2016, 8:01 PM
CF Veteran

the coolant flows throw the heater core inside your dash which is how you get heat into the cab.

If you have coolant on the floorboard most likely you have a leaking heater core. If its actual water it could be a plugged drain in the hvac case or an actual leak that water is getting into the car.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 2:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox with no heat/ overheat

i have had my Equinox for 10 years. I have had heat in it maybe for 1 of those years. I heard the sloshing and smelled coolant every now and again. I took it to a shop several times and they couldn’t really figure it out. I ended up replacing intake gasket, thermostat, cooling fan, thermostat, water pump, heater core, blend door actuators, blend doors, blower resistor, blower resistor pigtail, HVAC control head, coolant tank, and coolant cap. It had heat for about 2 months and lost it all again. We have checked for head gasket leaks and they are passing the combustion test. We have flushed coolant out several time so unfortunately I disagree that lack of maintenance causes these issue with the Equinox. So thousands of dollars later still no heat and the vehicle is now overheating however it is not losing any coolant. My suggestion is no matter how much you like it if you have a Equinox with heat issues get rid of it while you can

Quick Reply: 06 Equinox with overheating issues