Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

EVAP service at 60,000 mi?

Old April 9th, 2017, 3:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default EVAP service at 60,000 mi?

My maintenance list has a line item to check the Evaporative Control System @ 60K mi.
Specifically:
-check fuel vapor lines and hoses
-purge valve

I find removal and and replacement instructions in the service manual but nothing on servicing (checking) the EVAP system.

Has anyone serviced the Evaporative Control System ... before it throws a code?

Thank you.

2003 Chevrolet Express 3500 Cargo Van; LQ4 6.0L V8
Old April 10th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

well you could do a visual of the lines and hoses and check purge operation with a scan tool.
the check is not required. it will not extend service life. there are no serviceable parts. If something fails, the system will set a code and tell you. then find and replace part.
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 to tech2's advice. Nothing to worry about.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 11:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ODII threw P0446

Originally Posted by tech2
well you could do a visual of the lines and hoses and check purge operation with a scan tool.
the check is not required. it will not extend service life. there are no serviceable parts. If something fails, the system will set a code and tell you. then find and replace part.
I had the local auto parts store hook up their OBDII to see if it said anything about a noise I was hearing in my front wheel that I was suspecting to be the a ABS wheel sensor. It did show C0040 - front right wheel sensor.

It also showed P0446 - evap emission system vent.
The auto parts clerk said that since I had NO check engine light or ABS light ON that these must be intermittent codes and not indicative of a failure.

Opinions?

Search this Thread