Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

bearing issue 2005 silverado 1500 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2017, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearing issue 2005 silverado 1500 5.3l

i had a lose of oil presure and had to change my oil pump. now engine starts with great oil preasure and the it drops way down. i did find a bunch of metal in the oil pan. do you think that this is the main bearings??? i dont think that it is the rod bearing because there is no noise coming from the engine.
Old April 24th, 2017, 4:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most cold engines start with great old pressure although after reaching operating temperature the pressure will drop quickly if you have worn main or rod bearings using thicker oil or installing a high performance oil pump will help but bad bearing are bad bearings and should you not replace them you are likely to get stranded on the side of the road with a hole in the engine block.

The general rule is 10 PSI for every 1000 rpm is the low end of proper engine oil pressure.

Last edited by solwav; April 24th, 2017 at 4:35 PM.
Old April 25th, 2017, 9:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

With a bunch of metal in the pan you are looking at an engine rebuild. If it isn't taken care of now you will be stranded as stated above.