Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban 2500 4x4 stalls occasionally in reverse

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2017, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Suburban 2500 4x4 stalls occasionally in reverse

I just inherited my dads 99 Suburban a couple of weeks ago. It's a 4x4 with the 7.4L Vortec and a 4l80e trans. I'm trying to get it back in road shape because he didn't really maintain it the last few years. Anyway, when I put it in reverse sometime it stalls. Doesn't idle any lower but when I hit the gas I'd say 1 in every 10 times it stalls in reverse. Never stalls in any other gear. There's no slipping in any gear or hesitation in any speed. I brought it to my mechanic and he's not really a truck guy but he thinks it's the torque converter, does that make sense? All of the things that I came up with on google for Torque Converter issues I don't have (fuel economy hasn't changed, nothing is overheating). The CEL hasn't come on at all. Thanks for all the help in advance
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might be the torque convertor lockup clutch.
Old April 27th, 2017, 8:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what is the fluid level and condition. fluid pressure unlocks the tcc, if the fluid is to low or to high and aerated, the tcc won't release. typically, the concern is stalling when coming to a stop. check the fluid regardless.