Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Thinking of Buying a Silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2017, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying a Silverado

Hi,

I've never owned a Chevy truck but I'm in the market for a used truck, and I like the looks of the Silverado. I spoke with a guy, from craigslist, who is selling a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71, 4x4. It has 170,000 miles on it and he's asking $5,500. He is the second owner, and he said the only things that he's done to it in the last 10 years (since he bought it), aside from regular oil changes, is put in a new battery, a new alternator, and new front brakes. The transmission and engine (5.3L V8 OHV 16V FI Engine) are original. He claims the truck runs great and has been reliable for him. The only reason he's selling it is because he moved to San Francisco, from the Tahoe area, has another smaller car, and can't justify having a big truck in the city.

He also states the truck has never been in an accident. The body/frame is straight. There are no dents in the truck; only minor scratches normal for a 17 year old truck. The interior, he states, is the same. I've seen photos and the truck does look good.

Like I said, I've never owned a Chevy truck and I know very little about them. Having said that, is 170,000 miles too high for this price? How many miles can I expect to get out of a reasonably maintained 2000 Silverado 1500? Any input would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by saboc; April 26th, 2017 at 7:44 PM.
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:08 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I would say the price is high. Which cab is it? You can check KBB for truck values in your area. The maintenance records are very important. It is better to see them in writing rather than to believe what someone says.
Old April 27th, 2017, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
I would say the price is high. Which cab is it? You can check KBB for truck values in your area. The maintenance records are very important. It is better to see them in writing rather than to believe what someone says.
Hi,

Thanks for your input. The truck has an extended cab and I checked the KBB. When I checked the KBB I wasn't sure if the truck has a long or short bed. I haven't actually seen the truck yet, but in the photos it appears to be a long bed. So for the sake of argument, here, I am assuming it has a long bed. Having said that, KBB tells me $4,841 is a good starting point for negotiations, for a private party sale. So, you're right, $5,500 does seem a little high. Maybe, after checking out the truck and test driving it, if I like it, he will be willing to come down a little.

I agree, it is good to see the receipts for any maintenance. However, lets assume the seller has receipts. Would you consider 170,000 miles to be too high for a truck like this? I know it's hard to gauge because there are so many variables involved, but, ballpark, roughly how many can miles could I expect to get out of a reasonably maintained Chevy Silverado 1500?

Last edited by saboc; April 27th, 2017 at 9:18 AM.
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

170k isn't horribly high... It's up there no doubt, but I've seen well maintained ones go over 300k...

Mine same year, ext short bed, I got it at 18x,000 and it's around 205 now (only had it a year) and I love it. Only gripe so far is piston slap on startup when it's colder out.

So far I've done rear brakes, right front wheel bearing, topped off fluids, replaced heater core connector, shocks, and put new speakers in. Average 14 mpg mixed driving. It pulls a pontoon boat occasionally, with ease.

Granted I'm paying way too much (divorce sucks) but I figure I'll source another engine/trans when before long and keep the dang thing for awhile. I'm pretty consistent on the oil changes, and now it's over 200k it's time for fluid/filter swap for the trans, and transfer case, and topping off of diff fluids. Front axle seals are on deck too.
Old May 1st, 2017, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

10K per year seems pretty average. I have 130K on my '05. I would think he did more than that over that span of time. Like the rear brakes, the starter, shocks, plugs. I would have a mechanic give it the once over before I put out an offer on it.
Old October 31st, 2017, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ur truck same as my truck . My is 2000 and 209,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
170k isn't horribly high... It's up there no doubt, but I've seen well maintained ones go over 300k...

Mine same year, ext short bed, I got it at 18x,000 and it's around 205 now (only had it a year) and I love it. Only gripe so far is piston slap on startup when it's colder out.

So far I've done rear brakes, right front wheel bearing, topped off fluids, replaced heater core connector, shocks, and put new speakers in. Average 14 mpg mixed driving. It pulls a pontoon boat occasionally, with ease.

Granted I'm paying way too much (divorce sucks) but I figure I'll source another engine/trans when before long and keep the dang thing for awhile. I'm pretty consistent on the oil changes, and now it's over 200k it's time for fluid/filter swap for the trans, and transfer case, and topping off of diff fluids. Front axle seals are on deck too.

Last edited by Chevy4don; October 31st, 2017 at 9:48 PM. Reason: Same as your