Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe front diffential vent hose location

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2017, 11:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe front diffential vent hose location

Hi all,

Got my 07 Tahoe LTZ 4WD state safety inspection done yesterday. The inspector informed me that the drivers side front axle seal is leaking. They still had the car on the rack and lifted it up for me to see with my own eyes. It looks like it was a "fresh" leak, couldn't have started more than a few months ago. Last engine oil change which was about 2 months maybe ago, when I was under the and I'm sure that left side axle seal def. wasn't leaking.

So some back story, had the front right axle seal replaced some time ago, when I had the rear diff. rebuilt. That axle seal began to leak a few months down the road, the shop replaced it once again under warranty, and the 3rd new seal again leaked. They replaced that seal this past January of 2017, and now 4 months later, the left (original, since purchased) seal is leaking. Granted my Tahoe has ~226K on it now, but I feel like its a bit of coincidence that the left front seal started leaking so soon after the front right was replaced. Which leads me to think that maybe the vent hose is blocked somehow, which maybe caused those other new front right axle seals to leak.

Its a long shot, since the left front seal is the original seal.

If anyone can point in the right direction of where the vent hose is and where it ends, I would greatly appreciate it. I google'd but there were any helpful images that came up, unless my 07 is similar or identical to a 2000-01 Tahoe, where I did see a video on youtube of.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 19th, 2017, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

it goes from the front diff up to the topside of left fender liner. there was a tsb to check it as they were kinked. it will be a black hose with a plastic cap taped to a wiring harness. standing at the left fender, look down into the engine compartment for the top side of the fender liner.
Old May 20th, 2017, 9:45 AM
Super Moderator

http://webpages.charter.net/hawk25/hose.jpg
Old May 21st, 2017, 4:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
it goes from the front diff up to the topside of left fender liner. there was a tsb to check it as they were kinked. it will be a black hose with a plastic cap taped to a wiring harness. standing at the left fender, look down into the engine compartment for the top side of the fender liner.
Thanks so much for the info and the pic tech2! much appreciated! I will check when I get home, but I don't recall seeing a hose like that, so out in the open like it is in the pic. Now I'm a bit worried?! lol, i'll update later, thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:57 AM
CF Senior Member

Tech2 I did find the hose you described with the black capped top. Is this the only vent hose for the front diff?

In the pic you gave, there are two other rubber hoses circled in yellow, not sure if those where vent hoses also. I did not happen to see those other two hoses, but I'll check again and look more carefully.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 3:55 PM
Super Moderator

there is only one vent hose...the one with the straight yellow line marked on it. if the line isnt kinked or folded over...go to the diff and pull it off the barb fitting. blow through it and make sure it can pass air. If its ok, replace the axle seal with an oem seal...if it continues to leak...you may need a stub shaft.

there are leaks and seeps. leaks form a drop of fluid...seeps just show a stain. if it doesn't leak enough to form a drop...don't worry about it.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 4:49 PM
CF Senior Member

there is only one vent hose...the one with the straight yellow line marked on it. if the line isnt kinked or folded over...go to the diff and pull it off the barb fitting. blow through it and make sure it can pass air. If its ok, replace the axle seal with an oem seal...if it continues to leak...you may need a stub shaft.

there are leaks and seeps. leaks form a drop of fluid...seeps just show a stain. if it doesn't leak enough to form a drop...don't worry about it.
Understood...when I saw the left axle while it was on the lift, i did not see a drip, but did see a slightly fresh stain where a drip had ran down, and also where the stub shaft bolts to the CV axle (the cog shaped thing, sorry I dont know the names of these parts, lol) I could see it looks like its been covered in fluid for some time, so it may have been seeping for some time maybe. I'll try to get a pic and post it. Thanks again!