Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Moving seats in a 15 passenger?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving seats in a 15 passenger?

I have a 2015 15 passenger van. I would like to put the 4 person bench in the third row position. Is this possible? It feels like the tracks in the floors run the length front to back, so is it just as simple as slicing the carpet and moving the seats?

Thanks!
Chris
Old May 30th, 2017, 8:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No. The rear bench is a 2 pc unit. I believe the floor rails have extra short sections at the rear just for the 2 bc bench. Moving it forward would require cutting and refitting of the rails.
Old May 30th, 2017, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

It feels like those rails run the length, I think I can feel them though the carpet. I assumed (and maybe hoped) the 12 pass and the 15 pass used the same mounting rails under the carpet. That's why i was thinking it would be an easy switch.
Old May 31st, 2017, 7:53 AM
CF Veteran

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/IMAG0373.jpg

Does your floor look like this?
If so, the rear slots dont line up with the long rails. The long rails do the 3 front rows. The rear offset slots are for the 2 pc rear 4 person bench. You would have to cut the long rails shorter, and move the offset rails forward to move the 4 person bench up.
Old May 31st, 2017, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

No mine doesn't actually look like that. Your last row only has two anchor points? Mine has 4, two for each half of the four person bench.
Old May 31st, 2017, 9:38 PM
CF Veteran

Ok. That was just a pic I found. Not my truck. However if you have four points then the 2 extra ones would have to moved forward.....
Old June 1st, 2017, 1:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's possible but quite difficult. You will need to relocate the rails entirely. Some of the bolts that hold the rails from underneath the body are very close to the frame, impossible to access You will need to lift the body off the frame a few inches to access those. Doable with a couple of jacks and a few pieces of 4x4 wood. Remove 14 21mm bolts that hold the body to frame. Partial under hood disassembly for clearance (air cleaner, coolant box, fan and shroud, 11mm bolt for steering column, steering pump reservoir).
Old June 1st, 2017, 7:46 PM
CF Veteran

On my 2002, I just needed to drill out the rivets that hold those splash shields in place so I could slide them side to side to reach the bolts. Dropping the spare tire allows reaching the rest. But yes......not a fun job.
Old June 18th, 2017, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Ok here is the update. It does work!! The rails are there just like I thought. All you have to do is cut the carpet in the appropriate places. I will need to buy the plastic floor trim pieces, but that's it. What I did learn is the 4 person split bench in a 12 passenger is different then the 4 person split bench in the 15 passenger van. The only difference is offset. The 12 passenger version is offset by about an inch toward the drivers side. However you can still use the 15 passenger version like I did, it's just a tight fit. Once I pick up the trim pieces, it'll look factory. Here is some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-1.jpg   Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-2.jpg   Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-3.jpg   Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-4.jpg   Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-5.jpg  

Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-6.jpg   Moving seats in a 15 passenger?-van-floor-7.jpg  
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Seeing is believing, and I still can't believe it...lol I am glad it worked out for you, but I have seen photos of other vans without the 4 person seat rails going any further forward to allow for a second 4 person seat. Consider the fact the someone can add a second 4th row, and overload the van to 16 passenger.
I cannot see why gm would do this.
But hey..works for you.

Quick Reply: Moving seats in a 15 passenger?