Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2000 Chevy Suburban fuel pump not getting power...(not your typical fp issue)

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2017, 4:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy Suburban fuel pump not getting power...(not your typical fp issue)

So I'm helping a friend try and get her 2000 Chevy suburban up and running. She said it died while driving. Fuel pump and filter were replaced about 4 months ago. She thought it was the pump, had it warrantied (did the work herself) and still no start.

So far I've found -

No power at the pump
ECM b fuse ok
Check engine light comes on when key is in run
Security light is no flashing
Swapped fp relays, no change
Pin 30 on relay is getting power
Pin 86 has good ground (according to a test light)
NO power out of pin 87 when key is turned on or while cranking.

I jumped the relay and got the fuel pump to kick on, cranked it, still wouldn't start. I put 5 gallons in the tank just to be sure there's gas in it.

I checked codes with a generic scan tool. Luckily there is communication, but no codes.

There is spark.

Pin 85 is controlled by the ECU....is there some sensor that can tell the ECU to turn the FP relay off?? I'm at a lose. Can anyone help??? Thanks!!

Last edited by akmechanic; June 22nd, 2017 at 6:38 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old June 22nd, 2017, 2:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by akmechanic
So I'm helping a friend try and get her 2000 Chevy suburban up and running. She said it died while driving. Fuel pump and filter were replaced about 4 months ago. She thought it was the pump, had it warrantied (did the work herself) and still no start.

So far I've found -

No power at the pumpDid you check for ground/power at the pump?
ECM b fuse ok
Check engine light comes on when key is in runit should be
Security light is no flashing
Swapped fp relays, no change
Pin 30 on relay is getting power
Pin 86 has good ground (according to a test light)
NO power out of pin 87 when key is turned on or while cranking.

I jumped the relay and got the fuel pump to kick on, cranked it, still wouldn't start. I put 5 gallons in the tank just to be sure there's gas in it.

I checked codes with a generic scan tool. Luckily there is communication, but no codes.

There is spark.What does the spark look like, white, yellow?

Pin 85 is controlled by the ECU....is there some sensor that can tell the ECU to turn the fan relay off??That would be the temp sensor if you're asking about the radiator fan? I'm at a lose. Can anyone help??? Thanks!!
I'd check continuity from the pin at the relay base to the pin at the fuel pump plug, I'd also push the schrader valve on the fuel rail after you get the fuel pump to run, make sure you do have fuel there,

Last edited by kevinkpk; June 22nd, 2017 at 2:58 PM. Reason: addition, stinking spelling
Old June 22nd, 2017, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

So if I can jump the fp relay And the pump comes on, doesn't that prove that the the connections at the pump are good??
Old June 22nd, 2017, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

And yes I pushed in on the Schrader valve after I jumped the relay and the pump came on. Fuel came out.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Yes I checked for power and ground at the pump. That's why I said "no power at the pump"
Old June 24th, 2017, 5:29 AM
CF Beginner

So I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank, jumped the fuel pump relay, and was able to get it to run. It has a misfire on a cylinder or 2, and idled like ****. I scanned the codes and got a code for the signal wire on the maf (which doesn't surprise me. One of her retarded friends poured gas on the air filter and told her the vapors would start it. He turned the key on, maf sensor got hot, and caught the air cleaner on &#128293

And another p1404 code for the EGR valve. I looked at the pinpoint test and it said to unplug the EGR valve, if the idle improves to check for a short to ground between the EGR valve and the PCm. If no short is found, replace the PCM.

Also - after I got it running the tach doesn't work and neither do the electric windows. The door locks do. I'm kinda leading towards a faulty PCM...