Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Airbag did not deploy

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2017, 9:31 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag did not deploy

I am concerned because my parents were struck from behind while stopped at a high rate of speed by another driver and only one of the airbags deployed. The driver's side deployed, but the passenger's side did not. Shouldn't the Tahoe 2017 have deployed both airbags? The driver was protected, but the passenger is in ICU.
Old August 19th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did the passenger pretentioners deploy.

to make this determination more information is required/would have to see it....angle of impact is an important factor. other things to consider; weight of the passenger, seat position. If you need answers for legal reasons...a lawyer can get an investigator.

Last edited by tech2; August 19th, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old August 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beckpatt
I am concerned because my parents were struck from behind while stopped at a high rate of speed by another driver and only one of the airbags deployed. The driver's side deployed, but the passenger's side did not. Shouldn't the Tahoe 2017 have deployed both airbags? The driver was protected, but the passenger is in ICU.
Also there is a potential recall on the passenger side airbag only. Haven't heard anything else fro GM since the potential recall notice was received.
Old August 20th, 2017, 3:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Lets hope if it is an issue this gets resolved. I too, wondered about the passenger side seat switch if it was defective. Not sure what wieght limit minimum it has to have, in a truck, if the driver side has to deploy, I say deploy all air bags.
Old August 21st, 2017, 6:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyV
Also there is a potential recall on the passenger side airbag only. Haven't heard anything else fro GM since the potential recall notice was received.
what is the document number for the recall letter.

You have a 07. the recall for your vehicle is part of the takada inflator recall. This will not cause a non-deployment. A 2017 will not have this issue as the propellant will not have degraded...its to new.

Last edited by tech2; August 21st, 2017 at 6:52 AM.