Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350/400 Automatic Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2017, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350/400 Automatic Transmission Question

Hello, Brand new member hoping to get some transmission insight.

I read the post about posting here but don't have all the required information but please bear with me.

I am a disabled veteran, I rode motorcycles for 30+ years but due to a TBI can't ride two wheels anymore. I have to either buy or build a trike. I have decided on a VW drivetrain. There is an adapter plate made that mates a VW transaxle to a Chevy 350 or 400 transmission. My question is, the normal 350/400 transmission has the shaft directly out the back to mate to the normal driveshaft. Can you adapt a 350/400 to half axles come out the sides to mate up with a VW drivetrain? If so, is the modification expensive? The reason for the 350/400 is because due to physical limitations I need an automatic transmission and the VW Automatic transmission are just plain horrible. The H.P. isn't an issue, it will only be putting out just under 100hp. (1776 cc)

Thanks for any help.
Old August 21st, 2017, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure why you would want to mate a GM trans with a VW engine.
Wouldn't an intact front wheel drive system, from any manufacturer, be
more sensible?
It would be far easier to get parts and repairs on a popular system from
GM or Chrysler.
Old August 21st, 2017, 4:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The either t350 or 400 have the back exit drive. You will still need a differential, and axles. I have to assume you have a VW engine else why?
Old August 21st, 2017, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was asking about the VW engine because there are several trike projects I am looking at purchasing that are all VW powered. The engine is also relatively easy to maintain and work. I realize it would be easier to use a FWD Drive train if I were building one from scratch. I can't afford to build one to my specs, I am buying a trike frame with a VW engine and wanted to convert it to an automatic transmissions.

I got the idea because I had seen several kit cars with Chevy Power (V8 & V6's) that had the axles coming out the side of the transmission. Guess I'll just have to ask when I see one next car show.