Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

rear brakes hot

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2017, 5:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brakes hot

I was pulling 4000 lb travel trailer and noticed the brake pedal went to floor, but would pump back up after I first lost the pedal. I could smell brakes and checked vehicle master cylinder which was full of brake fluid, then I checked the rear brakes were very hot. I recently replaced emergency brakes on the rear. What could be the problem with the rear brakes? Thanks in advance. Terry
Old September 16th, 2017, 9:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

model year, engine, rear drum or disc?
Old September 18th, 2017, 5:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
model year, engine, rear drum or disc?
I have a 2002 Tahoe LS rear disc brakes and 5.0L engine.
Thanks
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No trailer brakes on something that heavy?
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoe64gg
I have a 2002 Tahoe LS rear disc brakes and 5.0L engine.
Thanks
Do you mean the 5.3L engine?

Are both rear brakes hot?

Are they only hot when towing?

The parking brake shoes might be dragging, overheating the caliper and therefore overheating the brake fluid.

I had a similar issue with my 2002 Suburban, I had one rear brake get very hot when I started pulling my travel trailer. In that case, the pad was sticking due to rust on the caliper where the pad ears slide. I loosened up the pad and everything was fine. I didn't have any pedal fade though.

Steve
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2002 Tahoe did the exact same thing. I eventually found out the pistons on the front calipers were frozen in the caliper body causing pretty much most of the braking to be done with the rears. One rear caliper got so hot it burned the dirt seal around the piston partially off. New calipers all the way around got things working evenly again.
Old September 19th, 2017, 5:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 02Sub
Do you mean the 5.3L engine?

Are both rear brakes hot?

Are they only hot when towing?

The parking brake shoes might be dragging, overheating the caliper and therefore overheating the brake fluid.

I had a similar issue with my 2002 Suburban, I had one rear brake get very hot when I started pulling my travel trailer. In that case, the pad was sticking due to rust on the caliper where the pad ears slide. I loosened up the pad and everything was fine. I didn't have any pedal fade though.

Steve
Yes, the engine is the 5.3L and both rear brakes were hot. It seems to be doing it with heavy towing only. I pull a 2000 lb boat about 4 miles to the boat ramp and have not noticed any brakes heating up. Thanks for your reply. Is it simple to loosen up the pads as you stated?
Thanks again,
Terry
Old September 19th, 2017, 5:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I may have to the way you went in replacing all the calipers. The car has 255,000 miles maybe they are due.
Thanks again,
Terry
Old September 19th, 2017, 5:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, I have the trailer tow package, but my travel trailer E-brakes have a error message of wiring fault on trailer. I stay on the flat lands when pulling. I do need to fix my TT E brakes.
Thanks,
Terry
Old September 19th, 2017, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoe64gg
Yes, the engine is the 5.3L and both rear brakes were hot. It seems to be doing it with heavy towing only. I pull a 2000 lb boat about 4 miles to the boat ramp and have not noticed any brakes heating up. Thanks for your reply. Is it simple to loosen up the pads as you stated?
Thanks again,
Terry

What happens is that rust forms under the thin metal snap-in shims that the brake pad ears ride in. The rust squeezes the shims and the ears get hung up. I cleaned out the rust with a wire brush and also ground off a little material from the edges of the brake pad ears so the would slide in and out easily by hand.

Steve