Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1988 tbi no injector pulse

Old October 18th, 2017, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 tbi no injector pulse

Hey everyone...i have a 88 caprice with no injector pulse...the motor starts right up and runs fine when i pour gas into the intake and of course dies afterwards...I can actuate the injectors with a 9volt battery to spray fuel when the fuel pump is running and...I am getting some sort of pulsed power to the ecm when I probe the purple/white wire with a test light at the ecm...when I use the test light connected to positive battery terminal and probe the purple/white wire at the distributor with the key on the distributor clicks...I have a 12vlt power to the white and red injector connectors when key is on...plz and thanks for any and all help
Old October 18th, 2017, 7:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

ECM, imo is at fault
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help, I'm hoping more ppl will chime in...so do u know of a way to test the ecm, besides just buying a new one, I would hate to spend money on a perfectly fine or repairable issue
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

I found this on Google. Having to do with trucks, but they're largely the same engine.
No injector pulse? | Chevy Truck Forum | GM Truck Club

As I understand the system, the pickup coil should send a signal to the brain chip in the distro, then to the computer and coil. If this thing is anything like OBD-2, if the computer doesn't pick up a 'clock' signal from the distributor, if may shut down the injectors. Then again, I've been working on a '96 Neon for the past few years while the Chevy's laid up, so I'm stuck in OBD-2-land. Are your injectors getting any power from the on-board system at all? Start there and work backward would be my recommendation.
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks jc91 for your help, the injectors are getting a 12volt power source at the red or white wire at either injector, other than that I'm stomped, I'll be sure to take a look at your link...looking forward to more help from everyone thanks

Search this Thread