New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

new member here, expert in instrument cluster repairs for those with questions

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2017, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member here, expert in instrument cluster repairs for those with questions

feel free to ask any questions regarding instrument cluster issues or problems.
Old November 21st, 2017, 3:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the site, great to have a new member with such an advanced knowledge. Tell us all something about your Chevy.
Old November 21st, 2017, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for having me, hopefully i can help others out
Old November 22nd, 2017, 5:07 AM
CF Beginner

Have 88 Chevy Van G20 with a noisy Speedo when it is cold and needle fluctuates violently. Curious as to what is the cause and what can be done. Also having trouble accessing and removing cluster to repair unit..
Old November 22nd, 2017, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by joseph542
Have 88 Chevy Van G20 with a noisy Speedo when it is cold and needle fluctuates violently. Curious as to what is the cause and what can be done. Also having trouble accessing and removing cluster to repair unit..
sounds like the bearing for the speedo cup is going out, unfortunately not much can be done other then pulling it out and trying to apply some grease an see if this band aid will help for a while. typical the need to be rebuilt. you can try southernelectronics.com or my airbag if you decide to get rebuilt. as far as having issues getting it out, which part of the removal has you stumped?
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by speedOhead
sounds like the bearing for the speedo cup is going out, unfortunately not much can be done other then pulling it out and trying to apply some grease an see if this band aid will help for a while. typical the need to be rebuilt. you can try southernelectronics.com or my airbag if you decide to get rebuilt. as far as having issues getting it out, which part of the removal has you stumped?
After thinking it over I may be doing it wrong. I'm trying to pull whole cluster out. I'm thinking I can just remove the clear plastic cover and then the mounting screws for Speedo. Is this correct? Appreciate your help. I'm probably overlooking the obvious.
Old November 27th, 2017, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by joseph542
After thinking it over I may be doing it wrong. I'm trying to pull whole cluster out. I'm thinking I can just remove the clear plastic cover and then the mounting screws for Speedo. Is this correct? Appreciate your help. I'm probably overlooking the obvious.
I have never personally pulled on of the 88 g20 cluster, though i know on some of the older gms you could pull the clear lens and pull the gauges out individually. though most of the cable drives are harder to pull do to the fact the cable itself does not give much room, i have actually had to go under dash so see if it was bolted to fire wall. or go under hood and unhook from tranny
Old November 28th, 2017, 5:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by speedOhead
I have never personally pulled on of the 88 g20 cluster, though i know on some of the older gms you could pull the clear lens and pull the gauges out individually. though most of the cable drives are harder to pull do to the fact the cable itself does not give much room, i have actually had to go under dash so see if it was bolted to fire wall. or go under hood and unhook from tranny
I thank you for your replies. Since I last posted I haven't had time to give it another try but your info was a positive asset when I do try again. This seems to have been a problem with older GM speedos. Had a 70 Buick years ago did same thing when colder temps arrive. Once it heats up it gets quieter. Thanks again My Friend.
Old November 28th, 2017, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

I'm new here too. Glad you are here and found this post. I will have questions about one of my instrument clusters later, LOL have more pressing issues to repair first.