Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

looking for a new cam

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2017, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a new cam

Hello all I'm new to the forum all tho I've been members to other forums with other vehicles I have yet to have one for my rigs now anyway I have a 97 Silverado 2500 with a 454 in it and I'm in search of a new cam since mine has a flattened lobe here's the deal I want a better one something with better throttle response and better low end torque I tow quite often with my pickup and I feel like a little upgrade will help wonders does anyone have any input on what are the best cams for these motors. I've been looking at the edelbrock performer cams but am just unsure as to where to go and what to use. also while I'm that far into the motor I will be replacing the timing chain and gears so any input on that would be awesome. thanks in advance
Old December 14th, 2017, 4:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Guy
Hello all I'm new to the forum all tho I've been members to other forums with other vehicles I have yet to have one for my rigs now anyway I have a 97 Silverado 2500 with a 454 in it and I'm in search of a new cam since mine has a flattened lobe here's the deal I want a better one something with better throttle response and better low end torque I tow quite often with my pickup and I feel like a little upgrade will help wonders does anyone have any input on what are the best cams for these motors. I've been looking at the edelbrock performer cams but am just unsure as to where to go and what to use. also while I'm that far into the motor I will be replacing the timing chain and gears so any input on that would be awesome. thanks in advance
What kind of tappets/lifters are you going to use?
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

was thinking about just putting new hydraulic set in or a set of roller lifters or just go with what comes with the kit if I like them
Old December 15th, 2017, 2:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Guy
was thinking about just putting new hydraulic set in or a set of roller lifters or just go with what comes with the kit if I like them
I always liked the roller lifters better. Edlebrock seems to be a good brand, but I liked Crane cams better. What are you looking for idle-wise?
Old December 15th, 2017, 4:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry, when you say cam, do you mean a dash cam? If yes this story in Torque News has a youtube that discusses what dash cams to buy on a Tesla example.

Old December 15th, 2017, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

you know I never really put any thought into the idle to much I do know I don't want it to sound like a massive hopped up hotrod. like I said I'm really just looking for something to help the torque a little bit to get better towing out of it since the cam is bad anyway why wouldn't I put a little upgrade into it.
Old December 15th, 2017, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

you couldn't be more on the other side of the spectrum on this one cupandbook
Old December 16th, 2017, 6:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Default sorry for the misunderstanding

Sorry about the misunderstanding 45Guy I thought you were referring a dash cam, when you said cam.
Old December 17th, 2017, 9:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 1997 454 is a Gen 6 that was equipped with a hydraulic roller cam from the factory. The duration of the Cam at 0.05 “ was 204/ 209 degrees for the intake and exhaust and a lift of .480/.483. Two companies that supply cams for this engine is Howard’s and Comp cams. They can be found at Jeggs and Summit. You would probably want an entire kit with Cam ,lifters timing chain etc. Check out the Comp Cams K014128. It’s duration is 212/218 which would give it more grunt for towing. Try Howard’s also but you might have to piece a kit together but they have new drop in roller lifters to fit your truck. Best to talk with the manufacturers. You might have to do some re-programming of the computer. If you want to go with Eldebrock you’ll have to do some digging. Didn’t see Gen 6 cams but they might have them. One thing for sure, you would want to stay with a roller cam. No use going back to an old school flat tappet cam. Good luck.

SD

Last edited by Suburban Dude; December 17th, 2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old February 18th, 2018, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Just exactly the kind of answer I’ve been looking for thanks for your help and I’ll get to looking into them