Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevy Express with the 2.8 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2018, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Chevy Express with the 2.8 Diesel

Hi you all, first post ever here.

I think this might be the year I make it happen, a Chevy Express 2500 regular wheelbase cargo van. And I want to go new too. I'm well into my 40's now and have never owned a new vehicle. I went to a Chevy dealer and checked out a new Express and it was a beautiful van, 5 miles on it, smelled so good. But what gets me real excited is this 2.8 Duramax they're putting into the Express! I've read mileage figures claiming mid 20's on the freeway. That's unreal for such a bulky and heavy van. Even if it got low 20's I'd be impressed.

Now why a van for me? I'm not a tradesman or delivery driver. If my career goes right, I'll be commuting to an office park doing computer IT stuff. Hardly a job that necessitates a full size cargo van. And I'm sure I'd be the subject of a few jokes in the breakroom, but that's OK. A van is the ultimate lifestyle vehicle for me. I mean come on, you can have a bed with you wherever you go. I beautiful winter day in Phoenix, during breaktime I just might want to go take a little rest in my van, keep a little cooler in there with some Old Milwaukee NA...enter the van into the picture.

Versatility and storage: I like to take my mountain bike to the trails, obviously the van would have more than enough space, and secure too.

Road Trips: This is where a van would really shine. I like to take trips to CA, Especially the LA area. Yes I could have a nice Chevy Colorado (beautiful truck BTW), pulling a 16-18' travel trailer. But then you have to secure RV parking in advance, then you just want to leave your RV at the park while you go out and have fun. Then you commute back to your RV at night. You might as well just get a motel in that regard. But a motel room near the beach or Hollywood is going to run at least a couple of hundred dollars, and most of the trip you're not even going to be there. The van is the perfect solution for grabbing a 7 hour night's rest.

Driveability: At my current job as an airport shuttle van driver, I drive Ford Transits and E350's. I find the Transit to be uncomfortable. By the time you get the steering wheel to a comfortable distance, your legs are all cramped. I actually get pains in my left knee, and what's up with that dummy foot pad for your left foot? The ergonomics of that van are terrible. But the E350, even with the engine doghouse, I seem to be able to sprawl out and get more comfortable, there's not that pressure on the bottom of my thighs either. The Express van will give me similar ergonomics to the Econoline. And I like the heavy truck like feel to these vans too. Those Transits have tiny little wheels, and although they do handle well, you hear every little crack in the road vibrating through that unibody. The Express vans have nice big wheels.

I just thought I'd join this forum to express my enthusiasm, and to connect with other people who share a passion for big American vans.

What do you all think of the 2.8 Duramax in the Express? I would think this would be pretty big news in the automotive world but I can't find any youtube vids of one, yet there is plenty of hype of the Colorado with the 2.8. Most of the dealers don't even carry the Express with the baby Duramax, but hopefully that will change this year.

One more question you all, if I pay $33-$34K on this van, you bet this baby is going in my garage when I'm not using it. I'm going to keep it in showroom condition. I measured my garage height, if I were to remove the weather strip and trim molding, it's 84". Do you think the Express 2500 would fit? They discontinued the 1500, but the sales guy said the 2500 is no taller. I measured the 2500 van at the rear using a level yardstick and tape measure, and got 82.5"

Well, I'll keep you guys updated here. Maybe later this year I'll be posting my own pics
Old January 4th, 2018, 5:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome. It sounds like you may fit in here. Most people breeze through to ask questions, but a few of us have projects to share. Check out Ron's thread(Teamuir1) "Best Upgrades...". It's ballooned to over 50 pages, but there's some good stuff there.

Having just gotten out of a cargo van last July, I'd suggest thinking about windows. It's easier to cover windows when you need to, but when you need to see out, there ain't a fix for that. Food for thought. Oh, and I'm 60, and I've never had a new car. Da Wife has had a few, but the closest I've got was my current ride, Le Moose. It was a 1 year old(when I got it in July) '16 Express 3500 long wheelbase, that had 19k.
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Express with 2.8 Duramax is only available since model year 2017, and besides that probably only 1 in 1000 are ordered with the diesel. There hasn't been any professional or user reviews, except one on dieselplace - 2.8 D Max road test - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, I read that, and two things. A) GM has to know it's under powered. So why even try an exhaust brake? And B) it would have to be one heckuva tune, and how long will it take the aftermarket to do it? My 6.0L gas has been out for years, and I can't find one for that motor in an Express.
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
Welcome. It sounds like you may fit in here. Most people breeze through to ask questions, but a few of us have projects to share. Check out Ron's thread(Teamuir1) "Best Upgrades...". It's ballooned to over 50 pages, but there's some good stuff there.

Having just gotten out of a cargo van last July, I'd suggest thinking about windows. It's easier to cover windows when you need to, but when you need to see out, there ain't a fix for that. Food for thought. Oh, and I'm 60, and I've never had a new car. Da Wife has had a few, but the closest I've got was my current ride, Le Moose. It was a 1 year old(when I got it in July) '16 Express 3500 long wheelbase, that had 19k.
Windows could be good, not so claustrophobic and might draw less suspicion when parking on a street at night. Plus they have rear AC. Our guy at work would sell me one of our retired E350 Extended passenger vans. Problem is they have like 360K miles by the time he gets rid of them.

Originally Posted by Artie1
The Express with 2.8 Duramax is only available since model year 2017, and besides that probably only 1 in 1000 are ordered with the diesel. There hasn't been any professional or user reviews, except one on dieselplace - 2.8 D Max road test - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Great link you attached. I had been searching long and hard for a review of the Express 2.8 Duramax. One guy was saying the engine was underpowered. That's understandable from such a small displacement engine. But, my van would be empty most of the time, and rarely towing. If I did tow were talking a small travel trailer under 3K lbs.

I don't know, a $35K+ van, maybe I should just consider a clean, low mileage van for around $12K. Put a few thousand dollars down and my payment shouldn't be too terrible. For that matter it could be an Express van or E-Series. I like the extended Econoline more than the Extended Express. It has a shorter wheelbase, and looks good with that overhang past the rear axle. Like a big rig semi trailer!

I don't know where I'm going to be working down the road, I could luck out on a job nearby. But the stress of a big van payment might be worse than the stress of a 17 mpg gasser. Besides, I could always get a cheap compact car later on.

Last edited by lovevans; January 6th, 2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old January 7th, 2018, 9:06 AM
CF Veteran

Mine was a year old, w/ 19k, and I paid 24k. It had been a rental. I do camp in mine, and window shades are easy to make and "deploy" when needed.

Something you said strikes a cord. Wheelbase. Extended vans are seen(by insurance companies) as somewhat unstable when loaded. My personal belief is that it may be that Ford and Dodge vans put the extra length behind the rear wheel, while GM puts it in front. I've driven all three, and by far, the GM is way more stable. I've had two long wheelbase Astros, clearly smaller and lighter, and they weren't as stable as my Express.

Last edited by StanVan; January 7th, 2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Man there are some deals out there on 2017 Express vans. One dealer nearby has a 2500 with the 4.8 engine for $24! Unfortunately I just can't swing it right now, hopefully later this year though.

I wonder how this new for 4.3 V6 for 2018 will be? 276 hp and nearly 300 lbs of torque, that's about what the 4.8 does I think. They use this direct injection, variable valve timing thing (I need to research that). I wonder if this new 4.3 can actually get halfway decent mileage? 19 mpg highway going 65 with the cruise control on, I could live with that.

Then there's always the mighty 6.0, then I'd have my van AND the "muscle car" I always wanted.
Old January 13th, 2018, 2:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with the GM van if you are going used. The longer wheelbase is actually better, and more stable. The drivers area is more comfortable. Very few 2.8 diesels out there, probably a special order. For what you are using it for, I think it would be a good choice. based on what little we know so far. I would love to test drive one.

Last edited by greenfire; January 13th, 2018 at 3:30 PM.
Old January 14th, 2018, 9:47 AM
CF Veteran

My 6.0 don't sound like that. But one day it will. And this is my first V8 in many years. The mileage sucks, but it is fun. Even with an empty weight of 6400 lbs, it does get up and go. On the highway, it really likes 70. And with the ELM device and Torque software, one of the things I can measure is 0 to 60 times. 8.4 seconds. Not too shabby, for 6400 lbs.
Old December 8th, 2018, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2017GMC Diesel 2.8L/ 8 speed transmission/ reg wheel base/ Cargo van 12/17, have driven 24k miles so far .
I previously had the 2011GMC Gas 4.8 L /6 speed transmission/reg wheel base, had 170K when I sold it.
Both vehicles I had driven same diving pattern and same amount of weight in them.

A Few comparisons I noticed
*I noticed the diesel has considerable better pick-up ,then the 4.8L.
*Also, going up hills , the diesel can maintain 55 without much effort, while the 4.8L was lacking power and would shift into passing gear to try to maintain 55 mph on an up hill.
*Factory remote start on both: Diesel after 15 min on a 10 degree day cabin is just starting to get warm, while the 4.8L is more comfortable.(This also effects the windshield from clearing off as quick as gas engine does)(Once vehicle is up to temp then all else is fine)

On the gas engine for the life of 170K I had15.5 MPG.
On the 2.8L Diesel for the 24K I've driven it get 20.8 MPG.

Hope this helps anyone who was trying to find a real life MPG on this type vehicle.

Quick Reply: Chevy Express with the 2.8 Diesel