TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Trailblazer 2WD and 4WD vs Uplander in snow

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2018, 2:33 PM
DLB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer 2WD and 4WD vs Uplander in snow

For several months I have been looking for a used minivan in the size catagory of the Uplander. Not having much luck in my area and began considering the smaller SUV like the Trailblazer or Envoy. I have not driven and Uplander in the snow but our past and present Chrysler minivans have done very well for us with regular all season tires.

Would a 2WD Trailblazer be a poor choice for winters in Ohio? As I understand it, the MPG is better then the 4WD. However I might have to make a major driving adjustment with either of them. Anyone here with experience in these differing models in snow?
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:44 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Trailblazer

I recently bought a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer after owning a small Hyundai car.
It recently snowed and when I got home the drifts in my driveway were up to my hip.
Never owning an SUV before I put it in 4 high and went 90 feet to my garage without missing a beat.
Get a slightly used one and you wont be sorry.
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:26 AM
DLB
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kimbobsdad
I recently bought a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer after owning a small Hyundai car.
It recently snowed and when I got home the drifts in my driveway were up to my hip.
Never owning an SUV before I put it in 4 high and went 90 feet to my garage without missing a beat.
Get a slightly used one and you wont be sorry.
I would expect 4WD to be good in the snow. I was curious about the 2WD Trailblazers since they are supposed to get better MPG.
Old January 24th, 2018, 9:37 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

The Trailblazer fuel economy is as good or better than the v6 Hyundai car I used to drive.
It's a great truck, easy to fix when things go wrong. Get one, you won't regret it.
Old January 25th, 2018, 3:03 PM
DLB
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kimbobsdad
The Trailblazer fuel economy is as good or better than the v6 Hyundai car I used to drive.
It's a great truck, easy to fix when things go wrong. Get one, you won't regret it.
Regarding the fuel economy of the Trailblazer: is there a difference between the 2WD and the 4WD with 2 wheels only engaged? What about the different year models?

The government fuel economy ratings show 3 MPG better on the uplander and no difference between 4WD and 2WD on the Trailblazer. My problem is that I know for a fact that my 1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager got 27 MPG on the highway, but they report much less.
Old February 1st, 2018, 6:35 PM
CF Active Member

Depends on how much snow you get or if you routinely try to drive in deep snow . I have 2WD and i just take my time getting to where I have to go .I live in upstate NY . 2Wd is more reliant on having good tires on it . that being said in the 8 years I have had this i have never gotten stuck . If the snow is that deep then you probably shouldn't be driving anyway . 2WD is probably 2-3 mpg better on the highway , usually get 22-23 mpg highway at about 65 mph . Anything over 70 and mpg's start to go down . the 2007-2009 had traction control on them which basically applies the brakes to the wheel that is spinning and cuts power . you can shut it off if you don't like it .

Last edited by vipergg22; February 1st, 2018 at 6:41 PM.