Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Just purchased

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2018, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased

Hello everybody,

I just bought a 2007 Chevy Equinox LT with 181000. Right away the front struts need to be replaced which is no big deal. There are a few things i'm wondering if i could get some help on. First, the check engine light is on as well as the traction control and stabilitrack warnings. Ive read a lot of posts and for some reason, A LOT of people come back to the EGR Valve. Well i happened to be going into town, was going to O'Reilly's for some fuses and asked them to scan for codes. 3 or 4 came from the EGR Valve and from what ive read, just replace it. Part ordered. Then we got past that and there was a knock sensor on cylinder 6 and bank 1 was running lean. Guy recommended a new air filter for the bank 1, as for knock, well get to that later. Then P1779 came up. Engine Torque Delivery. So from what ive read so far was that the TCM could need to be replaced? any other ideas for how to fix or address the issue?

Thanks for any help
Old February 16th, 2018, 2:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dchartney
Hello everybody,

I just bought a 2007 Chevy Equinox LT with 181000. Right away the front struts need to be replaced which is no big deal. There are a few things i'm wondering if i could get some help on. First, the check engine light is on as well as the traction control and stabilitrack warnings. Ive read a lot of posts and for some reason, A LOT of people come back to the EGR Valve. Well i happened to be going into town, was going to O'Reilly's for some fuses and asked them to scan for codes. 3 or 4 came from the EGR Valve and from what ive read, just replace it. Part ordered. Then we got past that and there was a knock sensor on cylinder 6 and bank 1 was running lean. Guy recommended a new air filter for the bank 1, as for knock, well get to that later. Then P1779 came up. Engine Torque Delivery. So from what ive read so far was that the TCM could need to be replaced? any other ideas for how to fix or address the issue?

Thanks for any help
You're jumping to conclusions and installing parts without doing any additional troubleshooting to confirm what you actually need. Worse yet, you are doing this to a vehicle you just bought and [presumably] don't know the service history of. Just because you are seeing the same warning lights/messages as other people on here doesn't necessarily mean you need a new EGR valve.

Post the actual numbers of the troublecodes you are seeing on here. Some of the descriptions you provided don't make any sense.
Old February 16th, 2018, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
You're jumping to conclusions and installing parts without doing any additional troubleshooting to confirm what you actually need. Worse yet, you are doing this to a vehicle you just bought and [presumably] don't know the service history of. Just because you are seeing the same warning lights/messages as other people on here doesn't necessarily mean you need a new EGR valve.

Post the actual numbers of the troublecodes you are seeing on here. Some of the descriptions you provided don't make any sense.

p0405 and p1779 are the active codes right now. im trying to get the fault codes resolved quick for a road trip next month so i may be jumping the gun, also im excited to have a "new" car to me. Sorry if the previous post was all over the place.

Also, yesterday was pretty warm so i was using the A/C. Today is decently cool and went to use the heater and it smells terribly of anti-freeze. The previous owner did tell me the heater core needed to be replaced. Is that the cause or should i be looking elsewhere?

Last edited by dchartney; February 16th, 2018 at 8:38 AM.
Old February 16th, 2018, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dchartney
p0405 and p1779 are the active codes right now. im trying to get the fault codes resolved quick for a road trip next month so i may be jumping the gun, also im excited to have a "new" car to me. Sorry if the previous post was all over the place.

Also, yesterday was pretty warm so i was using the A/C. Today is decently cool and went to use the heater and it smells terribly of anti-freeze. The previous owner did tell me the heater core needed to be replaced. Is that the cause or should i be looking elsewhere?
UPDATE: I replaced the EGR Valve this afternoon and all of the fault codes are gone. Have driven about 50 miles since.