Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Check engine light questions

Old February 19th, 2018, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light questions

Have 13 1500 i just picked up.
T he previous owner had put a K&N aftermarket air intake on which seems to be properly installed.
The truck has 109000 miles on it . My check engine light is waving at me and my question is this. Is it possible that the aftermarket would cause the dummy light or foul out an O2 sensor?
I am taking it in to be scanned and am aware of possible codes for O2 sensors but I am cautious to change it/them out when the root problem may be the intake!!
I plan on attempting to get 300000 out of this truck so I wanna start and continue correctly! !
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old February 19th, 2018, 10:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Erin Burke
Have 13 1500 i just picked up.
T he previous owner had put a K&N aftermarket air intake on which seems to be properly installed.
The truck has 109000 miles on it . My check engine light is waving at me and my question is this. Is it possible that the aftermarket would cause the dummy light or foul out an O2 sensor?
I am taking it in to be scanned and am aware of possible codes for O2 sensors but I am cautious to change it/them out when the root problem may be the intake!!
I plan on attempting to get 300000 out of this truck so I wanna start and continue correctly! !
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Do you have4 any codes?
Old February 20th, 2018, 8:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

Was the MAF sensor installed into the K&N system?
Old March 16th, 2018, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

honestly, if you want to do it correctly. get a decent reader yourself and internet learn what all the “live readings” should be. dont just rely on if you have a stored code or not. if your taking it to a dealer to get the codes read then they obviously have the $5k diagnostic reader that shows them literally everything. do not rely on some auto zone punk showing you a code an shoving a part in your face all the time. live readings on a scanner will show you maf readings and sensor readings in real time and then some. it will show fuel trims, timing, and a bunch of other stuff that once you learn what they mean, you will know the true health of your engine. see ya
Old March 23rd, 2018, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

We just dealt with an engine light in our '13. Reader noted rear O2 sensor. When hubby changed it the sensor was fine, however the wiring was rubbing against the chassis causing the wire insulation to crack and the wiring to become corroded. Might be worth taking a look at if you do throw a code for O2 sensor before removing the intake, its relatively easy to access.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

The wire rub is aparrently relatively common!

Search this Thread