Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What type of engine oil

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of engine oil

Good day. Have 2001 Suburban 1500 with 214,000 miles. Presently using 5-30 full synthetic in Florida. Should I switch to another type. Thank you,Ralph
Old February 20th, 2018, 1:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2000 Burb. The frame has 224,000 and the engine has about 55,000. Was in a junk yard with a blown engine. I bought it and the new-ish engine at the same junk yard. I use Supertech dino oil in it and change that and do a drain and fill on the transmission about 4 times a year. Since my Harley EVO days I just haven't been a fan of synthetic oils. Changing the oils takes me 15 minutes. As far as quality of oils that's an endless conversation that never gets anywhere. I have had many a car go over 200,000 miles and still running strong on regular old dino oil. The trick as I see it is regular maintenance.

My reasoning for not being a fan of synthetic is that on the Harley Davidson EVOs it caused oil to weep out of seals whereas the dino oils would not leak. I do think synthetic is a perfectly good product but, I can't go that long between oil changes. It don't feel right.

Last edited by falconbrother; February 20th, 2018 at 1:56 PM.
Old February 20th, 2018, 3:26 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

As long as the oil you are using meets the standards for the vehicle, dino or syn are both fine. The synthetics hold up better over time and in the long run provide better MPG. Most important is maintaining the oil level, don't let it get low, what's low, I'd say anything more than a quart.