Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help?! To junk or not to junk? 1991 G20 van

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2018, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help?! To junk or not to junk? 1991 G20 van

Hi. I have a 1991 Chevy G20 that has been sitting for 2 years because of transmission issues (long story worthy of separate post!). I wanted to get it up and running but i have to move from ca to va because my mom has cancer. The van only has 79000 miles on a monster v8 that started up ferociously on the 2nd turn of the key after 2 years. Needs a bit of interior and exterior work but this thing has still got to have some value, right? How would you recommend trying to go about selling it for at least some return in a situation which leaves me not much time? Any advice woukd be greatly appreciated. Btw...i live in Hayward, ca in the Bay Area if that is helpful re: what my market is. On another note: if you have transmission skills or wisdom please contact me too....my preference would be to figure this damn trans problem out as the van would be much better hauling my crap from west to east coast! Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2018, 4:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm... if the engine is good,
& the tranny isn't expensive to fix, try fixing it,
but you don't want it breaking down or anything all over America haha
might be better to sell it first & rent a U-haul?
Old March 14th, 2018, 6:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The sooner you fix it, you might have more time driving it around locally to make sure it will make the trip out here. My vote is fix it.
Old March 15th, 2018, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

I appreciate both of your quick responses and i think you're right: keep it and fix it. The engine is still a total beast....you should've heard this thing roar to life after having sat idle for over 2 years! Good call also regarding getting it fixed sooner rather than later to drive it around more locally and test it out. I know there's got to be a lot of little small quirks and sensors that kind of thing that are you know primed and ready to die on a nearly 30 year old vehicle.....as I've unfortunately discovered on my other unfortunate vehicle, which is a 97 Ranger, which is you know my other dilemma..... I know I know what you're thinking that sounds like a pretty sketchy marriage: Ranger and Chevy... but anyway. 😉

The bottom line is that there's no way that my already loaded four banger Ranger is going to be able to pull my trailer filled with tools and whatever else I didn't don't sell that I'm going to have to clean or manage to get back to the east coast, and I know that V8 will give me more if I can get something together. Actually I was thinking cuz I kind of decided to earlier to pursue this transmission prepare repair. And I think I decided to go professional with it because I want to see it done right and figured out completely. I have a little clutch experience but you know hardly any transmission experience at all. Along those lines I was thinking also about when I get it rebuilt or replaced or fixed about talking with the mechanic about doing an upgrade to make it more heavy duty so it can pull more weight because if it's a stock 700r4, I believe,

Last edited by Dave de VA; March 15th, 2018 at 5:54 AM.
Old March 15th, 2018, 8:10 AM
CF Veteran

Excellent! Where in Virginia are you coming to?
Old March 16th, 2018, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Waynesboro.......you familiar with it? Where you located?
Old March 16th, 2018, 9:25 PM
CF Veteran

I'm in Northern VA, inside the infamous Beltway. At least that's where I identify as. I just moved slightly outside the Beltway last Sept. You'll be just less than two hours south of me.

But don't let that stop you.
Old March 18th, 2018, 12:37 AM
CF Beginner

Automatic transmission repair much beyond fluid & filter change is best left to A/T professionals. There are SO many things that can get screwed up if you don't have experience with the particular model (or have someone nearby who does.)

Myself, I've never done anything to a TH350 (or later versions, such as 4L60 or TH400R4) that couldn't be done with the transmission in the vehicle.
Old March 18th, 2018, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

700r4 is the most expensive to repair I believe.
Old March 18th, 2018, 3:04 AM
CF Beginner

Of those 3 I listed, I believe it is.

I think it is because so many of the early 700R4s need a new updated shaft assembly, which adds a couple hundred dollars.