Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

difficulty lining up rotor

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2018, 9:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default difficulty lining up rotor

recently removed distributor from 02 express 1500 w/ vortec 5.7 i did mark the cap and mannie there actualley was already a mark

still have the distributor out of phase I think thats what it's called.

I removed #8 spark plug stuck my finger over hole then bumped engine felt it suck then blow kindof sounded like a fart, at the fart the rotor is pointing to 10O clock remember I'm at the rear of the engine.

did that procedure a second time at fart and rotor still stopped a 10 O clock.

I now have #8 cylinder at TDC I believe that mean #1 will also be at TDC however the rotor is pointing to the 10 O clock position. the distributer worm gear is messed w/ the camgear and is actualley inside the female end of oil pump driveshaft no gap inbetween bottom of dist.and top of mannie.

I don't see a way to aim the rotor at the #6 cylinder I do see a way to only 180 reverse from the 10 O clock to like 4O clock.

when I first got the express 1500 2 years ago I swapped in a new distributer rotor and cap and spark plugs/wires then I didn;t remove distruter both old cap/rotor looked fine so I kept as spares.

I wasted probably over one hour attempting to delinquently line up that dam rotor after breaking the tiny little lineup pins on both rotors I gave up for today.

so w/ #8 at TDC how is the rotor aimed at #8

should the distritur not be inserted when bumping engine?

any helpfull tips thanks

Last edited by the Brain; March 15th, 2018 at 9:34 PM.
Old March 15th, 2018, 9:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you have rotated the engine, you have to start from scratch.

Installing and Setting a Vortec Distributor Correctly - GM Truck Central
Old March 15th, 2018, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

should the distritur not be inserted when bumping engine finding #8 TDC?
Old March 15th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I seem to remember using timing marks on the crankshaft pulley
Old March 15th, 2018, 10:45 PM
CF Active Member

I dont think the 02 model has timing marks on the balancer because you cant use a timing light to adjust timing.

?1.should the distribuater not be inserted when bumping engine finding TDC on #1?
?2.when cylinder 1 is at TDC is it 6 or 8 that is also at TDC?
Old March 16th, 2018, 9:11 AM
CF Veteran

doesnt the shaft have a slot like a flat blade screwdriver? If so, it can only go in 2 ways.

When i did my dizzy on my boat, (351 windsor) ford has an allen key type slot, so its easy to be off a bit.
Old March 17th, 2018, 7:47 AM
CF Active Member

So this is true cylinder 1 is 180 degress out of phase from cylinder 6.

I am able to get cylinder #6 at TDC

I was aiming directly at #6 when I should have been aiming 180 from 1 so the rotor will actually be pointing to the firewall on the turcoise line does this sound correct?

Lastly what size is the harmonic balancers bolt I may need to rotate engine like when I get gears meshed rotor lined up and it close to but not enitirely seated on mannie.

I have been fighting this thing for a few hours seams everytime I turn the key to attempt ignition I hear feel explosions inside engine hope I didn’t do more damage.

also can the rotor still be used even w/the tiny aligment pins broken off?
Thanks Guys for advice
Attached Thumbnails difficulty lining up rotor-vortecdistribitorlineup.jpg  
Old March 17th, 2018, 8:04 AM
CF Active Member

yes the oilpump has a big female slot that the dizs male fits into.

next attempt at ignition after meshing gears on diz w/ cam gear I will not try again w/ long screwdriver to lineup but will turn crank clockwise untill diz drops into oil pump slot of shaft
Old March 17th, 2018, 4:38 PM
CF Active Member

out of desperation I decided to pull #1 plug and stick finger in 1 bump engine felt the same stuff a little suck then nothing then the blast of air same as when doing this procedure on #6

so I take a look under the distributer cap and observe 1 nipple is a tad more to left so instead of aiming rotor to the cylinder I aimed for the nipple still no ignition.

crawled under there looking for a timing tab, I did see a line on the harmonic balancer however there is no timing tab for me to lineup the balancer to verify TDC. the timing can't be set w/ a timing light on this 02 vortec so is there or isn't there a timing tab?

when bumping engine over maybe the first blow isn't the compression stroke should I continue bumping for the second blow? I actualley allready tryed this still no igntion.

I've done this procedure about 25 times and think I'm creating internal damage like I hear explosions starter grinding other unnormal noises I must be missing something here so back to videos (there's none for a express van).

I found there are two dots on the lower end of dis. shaft that need to line up w/ another mark also on the lower dis. shaft I've sean a faint looking G but a little higher on shaft. my shaft has no marks other than the 2 lower dots.

additionalley I also have the #8 that is engraved on the metal piece that holds the rotor cap for the cam sensor lined up w/ 6.
Attached Thumbnails difficulty lining up rotor-no-pointer.jpg   difficulty lining up rotor-no-pointer2.jpg  
Old March 17th, 2018, 10:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by the Brain
I wasted probably over one hour attempting to delinquently line up that dam rotor after breaking the tiny little lineup pins on both rotors I gave up for today
Hi, I would definitely get a new rotor. Now you have to find top dead center on number one cylinder so pull the number one plug which is the forward plug on the driver's side. Now you're going have to pull the driver 's side valve cover off. Rotate the engine with your finger over the spark plug hole until you feel compression then look for the mark on the harmonic balancer it should be close to the mark on the timing chain cover, line up the two marks. With the driver side valve cover off you'll be able to see if both valves on #1 cylinder are closed, the rocker arms should be loose with no tension on them, if not rotate the engine 360 degrees. Now install the distributor with the instructions below, per canucklehead (read the directions carefully, I think when the author says the left side he means the driver's side, roll your mouse over the images for extra clarification on the alignment points) maybe mark the distributor housing with the cap on where #1 wire lines up.If everything is correct, #1 cylinder will be on TDC and the rotor with the cap on will be pointing to #1 cylinder wire. There has to be a line on the harmonic balancer, it's the only way to find TDC. You will have to rotate the engine with a large rachet or breaker bar and socket (you will need help). I hope you can get to the crankshaft bolt without removing the fan shroud. Good luck.

Installing and Setting a Vortec Distributor Correctly - GM Truck Central