Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1999 Z71 shifting/dies problem

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2018, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Z71 shifting/dies problem

I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3 Z71 automatic. The other day driving home the truck infront of me stopped to turn when I put my foot in the brake my truck down shifted funny. When I gave it some gas to go up a hill it felt like it was trying to shift up/down shift. I thought it going to stall out. I put my foot a little more into the throttle and it drove fine. Went out a couple hours later and it died when I put it in reverse. It seemed to idle odd in gear but not in park or neutral. I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter. Went to town and it seemed fine til I got around 45. It didn't act like it wanted to shift. Slowed down to turn and it down shifted funny again. When I turned it acted like it was in neutral. Got to where I was going turned into parking spot it died when I put it in reverse to park better. Went in came out would die when put in reverse and forward. I put my foot on the throttle and put it in reverse and it went. Got home pulled into spot left it in 3rd for a sec or two and it tried to lurch forward with my foot on the brake. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated
Old March 18th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

this might help it might not but on my other truck i had the same issue except some times if i didnt hit the gas fast enough throttle wouldnt do anything. Did you run any codes my issue was a TPS Sensor.
Old March 18th, 2018, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

The SES light doesn't come on when i's doing this.