Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

High Mile G20 Van 305 TBI won't run.. running out of ideas,time to replace injectors?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2018, 3:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mile G20 Van 305 TBI won't run.. running out of ideas,time to replace injectors?

As stated before, died at traffic light 2 weeks ago, been working on it ever since. 240,000 miles, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil and coil pickup in distributor, ignition module, throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, new battery, new ECM computer. Distributor is set at top-dead-center until I can dial it in with a timing light later. Injectors are both spraying what looks like plenty of gas. Will start rough with pedal to the floor, will stumble on very weakly as long as pedal is floored. Spark plug on driver side shows dry, black, sooty, rich...passenger side plug shows almost no ignition, very little black soot, possibly too rich to fire? I'm thinking of replacing the injectors, any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance. Phil
Old May 14th, 2018, 6:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Just got finished installing new fuel pump and no improvement. Struggles to start, struggles to run with pedal to the floor, then dies. I removed both injectors and looks like another $200 to replace them with new ones. Probably don't want to cheap out on such an important part but I've already put over $600 into this repair with very little to show. This will be the first time I've ever replaced injectors on any vehicle so I don't have any experience to fall back on. Any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance. Phil
Old May 14th, 2018, 7:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You sure the timing is close?
Old May 14th, 2018, 8:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You sure the timing is close?
My concern as well; if you can get it sort of running try moving dizzy see if it helps
Old May 15th, 2018, 8:55 AM
CF Junior Member

When I checked the rotor position days ago I laid under the front and rotated the Harmonic Balancer by hand until the line was even with Zero Degrees Top-Dead-Center on the timing plate and I checked that the rotor was pointing to the #1 spark plug terminal in the cap. This normally should be a good place to start until I put a timing light on it after it warms up. I'll check it again but now I've got the injectors out and I guess I'll buy new ones before trying to start the motor again. Thanks for the help. Phil
Old May 15th, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Doing some research and see that the Fuel Pressure Regulator is another $100 part in the TBI system that might be causing the problem. Should I replace the regulator when I replace the injectors so I don't have to do it later? Thanks for any help. Phil
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

maybe do a pressure check before spending the $$
Old May 17th, 2018, 4:49 AM
CF Junior Member

I picked up the new injectors and a gasket kit from NAPA today so I'll post an update as soon as I get them installed. Thanks for the help. Phil
Old May 22nd, 2018, 6:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I installed new injectors yesterday and they did not solve the problem. While reading the Fuel Injection Manual that I bought I realized I had forgotten about the in-line fuel filter so I'll replace it today. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Phil
Old May 22nd, 2018, 2:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Replacing the in-line fuel filter under the rear of the van did not solve the problem but when the engine stumbled to a rough start it revved up to about 2 or 3 thousand rpms for ten seconds or so before quitting and that may be a sign that I'm getting closer. I tried twisting the distributor as the motor stumbled along and it seemed to make a little improvement but not to the point that it would stay running. I've replaced just about everything from the computer to filter so now I'm looking very close at the Throttle Body itself looking for air leaks or maybe remove it and soak it in cleaner. I'll check the fuel pressure right now too. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Phil