Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Is this supposed to be here?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2018, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking transmission fluid through this hole(?).

I have a 1997 chevy 1500 4.3 which has 4l60e. I notice a small puddle underneath and its transmission fluid. It appears as though it might be coming from this hole. Is this hole supposed to be there?

Last edited by Aboom; May 19th, 2018 at 4:01 PM. Reason: Title not specific
Old May 19th, 2018, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Picture

Old May 19th, 2018, 4:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Might be a vent line that is missing that should be routed towards the top
Old May 19th, 2018, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Might be a vent line that is missing that should be routed towards the top
Thanks for the response. I read somewhere else online about the vent tube but never found what i thought was one.

Some fairly recent history:

Several months ago, transmission fluid had been puking up and out of the dipstick tube. Online research led me to go ahead and blow the lines out that go to and from the radiator. After that, all seemed fine and good. I'd been driving it around for a few weeks then all of a sudden, I noticed a puddle underneath. I had been looking often so i know it just started leaking.

I am wondering what could be causing this? Maybe i should blow the lines again OR do something with this hole (vent tube), OR tight that bolt next to it? I would like to hear any ideas to further investigate and remedy this problem. Thanks.

Last edited by Aboom; May 20th, 2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Wording needed to be more clear
Old May 20th, 2018, 8:26 AM
CF Monarch

When you "blew" the cooling lines, did you disconnect them from the transmission?
Old May 20th, 2018, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

When you "blew" the cooling lines, did you disconnect them from the transmission?
no i did not. Is there a special tool for that end of the line?
Old May 20th, 2018, 8:33 PM
CF Monarch

Never heard of blowing cooling lines. So, possibly if you blew air through the cooling lines, you could have blown the vent line off the transmission by pressurizing the tyransmission
Old May 21st, 2018, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Never heard of blowing cooling lines. So, possibly if you blew air through the cooling lines, you could have blown the vent line off the transmission by pressurizing the tyransmission
I'm close to 500,000 miles (2nd motor and tranny)and i have done all the basic maintence. I would think I surely would have noticed something missing, like the vent line by now. But then again, i have not mess with my transmission. My transmission guy has retired and I don't want to, nor do I have, the money to shell out on this old truck for some new person to look at it.
Old May 21st, 2018, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Since blowing the lines with them attached to the transmission worked (stopped the fluid from coming out the dipstick tube) a while it stands to reason that perhaps undoing them from the transmission and blowing them out again may at least buy me some more time. if that doesn't work I suppose I'll drop the pan and go from there. Any other ideas or thoughts I welcome.